• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Plans built P-51

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
George replied to me to say he's not selling plans anymore. I asked if he'd send the files to my local Staples who could print and then delete them but he didn't respond. The Jerry Bates 1/4 scale (112") plans are $60 plus $18 shipping, Jerry replied right away to my emails so he'll have a set in the mail to me this week. Not sure I need a 112" Mustang on my bench but that appears to be the direction I'm going in at the moment. :lol2:
I think maybe Jerry’s plans are the way to go. George’s plans were really good, but, if they’re not going to be available, we might as well move on. Besides, George’s plans were 3 times the price.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
I finished all the hinging. Some adjustments may be necessary to accomplish the full range of throw, but any changes at this point will be minor. The only task left is the control horns and linkages. The new paint arrived Thursday. I hope there’s enough. Got to wait until it warms up a little. Today is supposed to be warm enough, but windy. Tomorrow there’s an 80% chance of 3-5 inches of snow above 7,500 feet. I’m at 8,500 feet so I think the forecast is for a zero percent chance of paint.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Is the three piece wing the stock Nosen design? A fellow club member has one he bought at a swap meet and has been changing to electric. He's recently come to the conclusion the plane is too much for him. I've seen the fuselage, and it's pretty rough, but I may try and talk him out of it. I've never seen the wing.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Is the three piece wing the stock Nosen design? A fellow club member has one he bought at a swap meet and has been changing to electric. He's recently come to the conclusion the plane is too much for him. I've seen the fuselage, and it's pretty rough, but I may try and talk him out of it. I've never seen the wing.
As I recall, the Nosen original is a 1piece wing. When Bud first drew them, there was no such thing as servo extensions or gas engines. The ailerons were connected to standard analog servos using long rods and bell cranks. There was no provision for disconnecting these rods.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
As I recall, the Nosen original is a 1piece wing. When Bud first drew them, there was no such thing as servo extensions or gas engines. The ailerons were connected to standard analog servos using long rods and bell cranks. There was no provision for disconnecting these rods.
You are correct. The original Nosen 'Stang was a one piece full build wing. The fuse was also full build. However there was an addendum one could purchase. The glass fuse was much lighter and much less work. Not to mention considerably lighter. I had one many moons ago and planned to finish it. But unfortunately life got in the way and had to sell it. Not a big deal though. I think I am going to like the Don Smith much better. Even though it will be a long and intensive build, I think it will come out much more scale in lines. I have posted a couple of photos of my Nosen from all those years ago.

Nosen Stang too.jpg
Nosen Stang.jpg