• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Pitts S1-T, S1-S, and a Challenger.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well fella's, I have bad news and more bad news. First up is the Valach 140 will not fit the Challenger cowl which after some thought I am kind of glad. If it had fit I would have to change out the DLE 111 along with making new holes and everything else that come's along with it.
Next up is, during yesterdays practice flight's with the Eagle on the last landing the wheel wire broke, I said "last landing" because of the lack of a wheel. There is no way I can rebuild the gear as well as patch and paint the departed pant by Wednesday. So, once again Top Gun will have to go on without me.
I knew the kit gear was being stressed, with a kit weight of 32lbs and a build weight of 48-51, and would eventually give but did not think it would be so soon. Fortunately the airframe is perfectly fine.
And now that I am free and clear of everything the last couple years have brought, houses to rebuild and property to clear, it will be more than ready for next year. Smooth sailing from here out, more or less.
Ok have to ask the 140 does not fit because most likely the spark plugs stick out to far. So if you made some blisters to accommodate the plugs would it be frowned upon at top gun and loose points. Many planes have engines sticking out the bottom they just do not fit. Would you not get extra points for have an engine that sounds more realistic.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
There is actually five, not including the pearls. I would probably like the pearl bright yellow but they don't show a ten meter roll. In ten meter there is only bright and cub, I will most likely go with the bright. It does not have to be spot on as this bird is going to be an every day flyer type.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok have to ask the 140 does not fit because most likely the spark plugs stick out to far. So if you made some blisters to accommodate the plugs would it be frowned upon at top gun and loose points. Many planes have engines sticking out the bottom they just do not fit. Would you not get extra points for have an engine that sounds more realistic.
The Challenger is not a scale build by a long shot not even worthy of being seen near TG. The plugs are fine, the valve covers press against the cowl. I will mock it up a little better when I get to it later but for now it is probably a no go. As for the Eagle gear, fixed in five days is not happening. I have to tear the leg covers off to braze the new wire in. So that is making the new wires, brazing them in, making new leg covers, repairing the pants, then repaint it all. Nope! Not going to happen....

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
You sound like me hate being rushed it will be done when it is done. Always take time to do it right because I hate working at the field. I show up and fly. If it is not working and not some thing very simple I prefer to take it home and fix it at my speed and right.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok guy's, tell me what you think. I need to replace the broke gear, we all know that. I was wondering if cold steel would be up to the job or if it has to be piano wire. My way of thinking is cold rolled may actually be stronger as it might have a little flexible give to it. The current wire is 1/4" and my wheels can be opened up to 9/32", which would be a bit larger.
What are your thoughts on it?

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok Acer the answer to your question is complicated and has several answers. Note that piano wire has a yield strength of 280 to 320 K-psi And mild steel from 36 to about 80 K-psi. So depending on the diameter and what the cold rolled strength is either one can work it just a mater doing the calculations and the geometry. I do not mind trying to help you but first we need a drawing or layout of the gear with all the dimensions and angels to get the moment diagram. And then do some numbers to see if it works for you. Let me know. Have one concern how is the wheel axel connected to landing gear or is one of the landing gear wire bent to be the axel. Depending how it is done the calculation on a brazed connection is very difficult to do to many variables in the process and weld material and cleanliness of the weld.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok Snoop, in the pic the white arrow points to the wire I need to replace. The white line shows how it runs and the bend angle, the wire is the axle. The current wire is 1/4" but I could, if need be, go to a 9/32".

Attachments

• 87.JPG
    87.JPG
    326.2 KB · Views: 222

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
0CFAEDD8-4C57-4D44-A6ED-17D6E64BA38F.jpeg
Ok I will need info from you and we will work our way through it. Just so I understand the picture properly the 2 main legs are very close to being in line and the 3rd leg between the two main leg angels backwards to restrain the gear from moving forwards and or backwards. Next assumption the 2 main gear wires are hard connected to the fuselage and the 2 wires are hard connected to one another near the wheel. If the answer to the above description is yes then I believe I know why your gear failed at the point it did which right at the bend at the wheel. Please read the note and give me an answer. Depending on the answer you give how we will proceed.
Have added a drawing that needs to be filled in to make sum calculations to see what is going on.