• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC 122" Extra 330SC

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
What i do now is use a digital angle meter to set up throws on both servos with only one servo connected to the surface at a time. Once i have it dialed in i will line up the disconnected servo ball link to the horn or arm and match up the holes. Add subtrim where needed to correct neutral and end point to line up full defection. But i try to dial in the geometry so no trim is needed on end points. The hardware Joe is using works the best for this since you simply turn the screw to match full defection. I will use different servo arms and now unihubs to use as little as possible subtrim for neutral. Mid travel i will move the surface with the radio and look in the hole of the disconnected servo linkage to see if there is any misalignment. If there is, i will balance the midtravel in the radio. I found using an amp meter on brushless servos is not a good indicator of binding compared to coreless servos.

Interesting how it actually dropped when you first put the load on it.

Joe Hunt

150cc
Joe,
Have you removed any of the linkages to see if the hole matchs up correctly. With my JR brushless servos i found that using an amp meter is pretty useless for checking for binding. Once the servo moved to full travel amperage went down to where you have shown and stayed there. I could pull on the servo arm and noticed virtually no increase in amp load. If i removed the linkage the holes were off. Using the same meter as you and the fromeco quad meter.

Hi James! When you set up your linkages correctly with a protractor the holes match up throughout the entire range of travel every single time. You don't need an amp meter nor radio adjustment. :) I did not use the amp meter to setup my servos, I was really just throwing it back at my friend who told me I had to use an amp meter with JR servos. haha

Joe Hunt

150cc
Yes and I find myself stumped on why the brushless servos act like this. I guess I do not know enough about these types of motors

What I've been told is that brushless need similar power to a brushed servo when moving, but not near as much power to hold its position. Whereas a brushed servo is using max power to hold its position and even then is heating up and fading. Ever since I tried my first brushless servo a couple of months back I do not want to use brushed.

As real world evidence I had Hitec 7950 brushed servos in my Sukhoi and after one flight I would charge up and discovered that I had used 1000mah in a flight. On my next plane, the Yak55m, I went with Hitec 9380 brushless servos. After one flight I would charge up and discovered that I had used 200mah in a flight.

Joe Hunt

150cc
HEY! The giant scale 3D funfly with mini contest and IMAC primer is definitely on! January 22-24 at the Irvine Lake field (OCMA)! All you guys need to be there! 75 degrees and sunny I would suspect! I'll get @Spats to bring a bunch of planes up for you guys flying in from out of state... I'll bring lots of gas. @Spats planes, tons of gas, you guys, what could possibly go wrong? haha

HEY! The giant scale 3D funfly with mini contest and IMAC primer is definitely on! January 22-24 at the Irvine Lake field (OCMA)! All you guys need to be there! 75 degrees and sunny I would suspect! I'll get @Spats to bring a bunch of planes up for you guys flying in from out of state... I'll bring lots of gas. @Spats planes, tons of gas, you guys, what could possibly go wrong? haha

As long as spats hasn't seen or heard how I fly, I guess nothing could go wrong, at least from my point of view.

Hi James! When you set up your linkages correctly with a protractor the holes match up throughout the entire range of travel every single time. You don't need an amp meter nor radio adjustment. :) I did not use the amp meter to setup my servos, I was really just throwing it back at my friend who told me I had to use an amp meter with JR servos. haha

Most of my setups were pretty much spot on. There may have been a spot or two that needed a click or two of middle trim adjustment but that was rare. But on my Sukhoi that had the control horns preglued it was off. So it required balancing in the middle. This is when I discovered that brushless servos don't seem to increase amperage when binding.