• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC 122" Extra 330SC

Joe Hunt

150cc
And that was I think, 8 years or so ago? Right when I was getting started .

Yeah... you can tell by the big ol' antenna coming out of my TX. haha

Some things that have struck me as interesting since coming back, one is that I mostly flew 40% planes while I was flying. But, right at the end there I got the 104" Extra, then Yak... then the 96" Extra... all from Aeroworks. They were smaller and quicker than what I was used to and I flew them faster and harder because of it... and because at the time I viewed them as cheap little toys... as compared to the 15k 3W Yak I had sitting in the garage. Anyway, ML and some others were already going faster at that time... but I started flying faster then too... then coming back the "boys" all fly fast. I actually started out flying fast in the beginning but slowed down because of watching Kyle (the Alien). I was also doing a poptop with out finishing it in my last videos with the 122" AW Extra. What's funny to me now, too... is the XFC 2003. I just found a video posted of my highspeed roll, low and down the runway. Through the years, some guys made fun of it, calling it the 3 of 8. But, it looks a lot like what they boys are doing these days... fast and low... and this was with a brand new Carden that I got right before the event. And, highspeed freestyle and the old Carden heavyweights were not synonymous to say the least. haha Anyway, it was cool to run across the old footage, I downloaded it and uploaded it to my youtube channel right now:

Joe Hunt

150cc
Anyway... back to the purple monster... I was thinking of going with this power setup:

20151107_173019.jpg

Joe Hunt

150cc
I've put together over 100 planes and always ran the fuel line through the plywood at an angle with a dremel (chamfer'd nicely), and never had the fuel line look even the slightest bit worn. But, @Mr.Anderson shamed me into trying a grommet for fun. :wink:

20151107_202725.jpg

Joe Hunt

150cc
I always used to use 1/8" fuel line for my 100cc planes and 5/32" for my 150cc planes. But, the larger fuel line didn't work well on the fuel dot and also was scary big on the Tillotson carb nipple (he said nipple, hehe). So, now I'm using 1/8" on everything.

20151107_210911.jpg

Joe Hunt

150cc
In the old days I never used a set screw and always got my canisters to stay attached. But, on the Sukhoi I ran 2 screws per clamp (8 screws total for the plane), and on this plane I'm trying 1 screw per clamp (4 screws total for the plane).

20151107_221146.jpg

Joe Hunt

150cc
I used an Aeroworks vent dot... I used to use a fuel fitting nipple sometimes... they work well, but can get hungup on things, these are pretty slick:

20151107_221346.jpg

I placed the dot and fixed the vent line where it would avoid the hot pipes and headers:

20151107_221353.jpg

Joe Hunt

150cc
Gathered everything up for a quick installation of the Hitec D950TW throttle servo. You know the drill, pilot hole for the screw, screw in the servo screw, remove the screw, drop of thins CA, let dry, screw down the servo.

20151107_221650.jpg

I thought I was so on the ball thinking ahead and buying a 1" H9 servo arm to match (tried it in the 3/4" hole).

20151107_222302.jpg

But, it was too long for the short throttle servo arm (I keep asking Dave to lengthen that thing!). So I went with a stock plastic arm drilled at about 5/8" out. That gave me 100/100 end points. I probably could get even drill it at 1/2" but I'm not used to having such a short arm, and I'm not sure above the leverage, etc. I'd just rather have a longer throttle arm. But, 100/100 is not terrible. Also, if you go back and read QQs article on linkages you'll see that you can adjust the throttle curve with the length of the pushrod vs with a curve in your radio:

20151107_223704.jpg

Joe Hunt

150cc
Okay, I had four great fuel dots in stock to choose from. I had two DA fuel dots, one Pilot dot that came with the plane (nice!), and one Jersey Modeler dot that is very nice, as well. Yet and still I ordered a JEModel fuel dot from Aeroworks because they're my favorite now... because they're easy on the arthritis and fingernails. :)

20151107_231034.jpg