• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC 122" Extra 330SC

Joe Hunt

150cc
I always say if you want to take a nap just go watch an IMAC flight. This stuff is all good and precise but it's just like IMAC to me. I applaud the work but way over thinking it for me. I just use SWB 2" arms on everything and go. The way I throw my sticks around not sure it would change anything on my flying or batteries :spongebob: But nice work Joe.

@Spats is right with this plane. Unless you're willing to move the control horns AND the servos... just use the stock setup and go fly. I'll explain in the next post.

Joe Hunt

150cc
Okay... that was time consuming. First plane that has taken longer than a couple of minutes to work out. First plane I wasn't able to get ideal geometry, resolution, leverage, linearity and synchronization without a total makeover. Leverage and resolution I had in the 3 pics I showed up thread. But, I still hadn't put on a protractor to check synchronization and adjust for linearity.

First... linearity. I was not able to get it with the ball link where I show it up thread in the 3 pics. With the ball link on the side of the stock control horns like that the best I could get was 7 degrees different, up vs. down, off of center. I was able to get equal travel (47 degrees up, 47 degrees down) by putting the ball links on the opposite side of the stock control horns (the outside instead of the inside). But, that left me with no leverage, and lots of pry load vs. side load. So, that was out. I ended up going with the stock ball link location at 6 degrees different, up vs. down, off of center as a compromise between leverage and linearity. Reason for not getting it ideal, like usual? The servo location. It's so close to the hinge line that the pushrods are very short (1-1/2"), so the angles get too severe. So, anyway, now, one of my ailerons will always be moving just a frog hair faster than the other one. Never have had that since I first figured all this out in like 2003. If I fall in love with the plane I could always, at any time, move the servos out another 2-1/2". If I did that it would end up ideal like all my other planes.

Next up... synchronization. Having the outboard servo traveling the same distance (104 degrees in this case) as the inboard servo in order to make the surface travel a specific chosen distance (13", in this case). I always get this with finely adjustable bolt style control horns, but never so far with factory located non bolt style control horns. This case was no different. I used the low hole for the inboard servo and needed 104 degrees of travel on the servo arm to achieve 6-1/2" of aileron travel up, and 6-1/2" of aileron travel down, from center. On the outboard servo I needed 108 degrees of travel to achieve the same 6-1/2" of aileron travel, up and down. At least it is only 4 degrees off, but the numbers let you know, that if anything, the middle hole should be slightly lower. So, for those that put in a middle servo in the middle hole, and the outside servo in the high hole... things would be way off.

So, now that I've returned to a normal stock setup... I'm only 6 degrees off on the linearity and only 4 degrees off on the synchronization.

Again, usually it doesn't go like this... with the servos out far enough to use 2-1/2" to 4" pushrods I'm usually setup all perfect in minutes. But, on this one I took some time to sort it out and realize that I couldn't get it perfect, but I could get it close.

Joe Hunt

150cc
Monkey is at it again, I see. ;) Ordering parts without my knowledge! It is a cute little bastard, though. I haven't seen a little motor in a long time. Just gotta figure out what I want to put it in... maybe the little brother to this plane, we'll see.

20151029_171635.jpg

Joe Hunt

150cc
Three of these thin washers from microfasteners... on the side towards the servo body... to avoid binding throughout the range of travel:

20151029_184103.jpg

Last edited:

Spats

100cc
I commend you on the effort and the precision of your experience. If I was flying IMAC I would do exactly what you are doing. This plane will never fly good IMAC IMHO. It is designed for old school 3D. Low and slow floater. Get all the max throw you can on everything. Tony told me that what he had in mind for this plane was to have a very stable harrier plane that can do an elevator without the wings rocking at ALL and it does it. Just pull up full elevator and watch it float to the ground. I think it's the easiest plane to harrier land in the world. It will do slow motion rollers all day long.

Can't wait to see it finished.

Joe Hunt

150cc
I commend you on the effort and the precision of your experience. If I was flying IMAC I would do exactly what you are doing. This plane will never fly good IMAC IMHO. It is designed for old school 3D. Low and slow floater. Get all the max throw you can on everything. Tony told me that what he had in mind for this plane was to have a very stable harrier plane that can do an elevator without the wings rocking at ALL and it does it. Just pull up full elevator and watch it float to the ground. I think it's the easiest plane to harrier land in the world. It will do slow motion rollers all day long.

Can't wait to see it finished.

I hear ya', brother! I might fly some IMAC events next year with Jason Benson and Joe McBride, but yeah, probably not with this plane. Maybe my Sukhoi, though. :) Why I like having all four (or sometimes all six) aileron servos traveling the exact same distance off center to move the aileron the exact same distance up and down is that it makes the servos synchronized so that they last longer due to not binding at any point throughout the range of travel. I've always had that until this plane because the servos are right at the bevel... too close to the control horns for perfectly synchronized servos. It's fine, but if I keep this thing for awhile I'll definitely move the servos further away from the control horns, about 2-1/2" away. Still, I am setup stock and it's not bad at all. :way_to_go:

I'm really looking forward to this thing being done, too. I've been wrenching for months and I just want to fly the wheel pants off this plane! :fist_pump:

Joe Hunt

150cc
@Spats is going to say, "I told you so" again. haha But, I'm going pull/pull. I can change it out to push/pull later if I need to. I'm going with four elevator servos and I like my planes to be pretty neutral... so we'll see how the pull/pull works out. Also, seems like when I use these tuned pipes I end up more tailheavy, as well.

20151028_181448.jpg