• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot 40% 330 Recover and Build

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Missed a couple of postings on this thread not getting any notification. But anyway really looking good and it is coming along great. Like the scheme you picked. Go for the lights I too have been thinking of just two bright white lights in the leading edge of the wings so that I can see them when the plane is coming straight at me I thing that would be cool and also landing I belive I will be able to see the plane better.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Not much time lately to work on the 330. Did however get the 1/4" balsa stock glued on and shaped. Added a little filler to take up any imperfections. Soon, I can start covering the bottom of the wings.
20180228_201959.jpg 20180228_202042.jpg 20180228_202106.jpg 20180228_202143.jpg

The wings are in near perfect condition. Only discovered a couple of "rash" marks obviously from the factory. The covering over those spots was perfect with no dings, dents or rips. But they were so minimal that really, once the new covering is layed down and the heat is applied, those areas will basically disappear. I did add just a touch of filler to the one rash mark.

I'm backing up on one of my earlier statements. I had mentioned that I just can't do a scheme with checker board squares. But honestly, the scheme that I am planning on doing is...well, to me it is just about the most eye catching I have seen in quite some time. I just don't think it would look the same without the checkers on it. I think I can duplicate it perfectly. With the exception of the cowl. That...is going to be really tough. Mostly because the two colors that make up the checker board squares "blend" or "fade" together.

Guess time will tell. Stay tuned fellas. I am getting there. Slooooooooooooooowlyyyyy..... Ugh. LOL

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Not much time lately to work on the 330. Did however get the 1/4" balsa stock glued on and shaped. Added a little filler to take up any imperfections. Soon, I can start covering the bottom of the wings.
View attachment 102326 View attachment 102327 View attachment 102328 View attachment 102329

The wings are in near perfect condition. Only discovered a couple of "rash" marks obviously from the factory. The covering over those spots was perfect with no dings, dents or rips. But they were so minimal that really, once the new covering is layed down and the heat is applied, those areas will basically disappear. I did add just a touch of filler to the one rash mark.

I'm backing up on one of my earlier statements. I had mentioned that I just can't do a scheme with checker board squares. But honestly, the scheme that I am planning on doing is...well, to me it is just about the most eye catching I have seen in quite some time. I just don't think it would look the same without the checkers on it. I think I can duplicate it perfectly. With the exception of the cowl. That...is going to be really tough. Mostly because the two colors that make up the checker board squares "blend" or "fade" together.

Guess time will tell. Stay tuned fellas. I am getting there. Slooooooooooooooowlyyyyy..... Ugh. LOL
Well it is getting close to having to start covering the plane. Is the final concept decided on or are you still making changes to it.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well it is getting close to having to start covering the plane. Is the final concept decided on or are you still making changes to it.
The final concept is decided. And may just roll with it. Still however, I'm toying with the idea of altering the checker board squares. A slight variation may take place when it comes down to covering the tops of the wings and stabs. Also the fuse. Just depends on how tenacious I get with the scheme.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Finally a break from work. And of course, the weather sucks!! So I'm back to a little more covering on the 330. As it stands, I've decided against the lights for the 330. Couple of reasons being... first I'm trying to keep this plane as absolutely light as possible. Second being, if I put lights on it, I'll be tempted to fly it at night. (Which would be way cool) However with the scheme I'm doing and my lack of night flying, I'd probably drill it so far into the ground, Tony at Pilot RC would have a red head sticking in is office window in China.
forehead-slap-smiley-emoticon.gif
I'll just have to look seriously at putting Nav lights on the big Stang when I start that build later this year.

So I now have the root (inboard) sides of the aileron on the right wing done...
20180304_105624.jpg 20180304_105612.jpg

And the tip (outboard) of the aileron and wing done.
20180304_105636.jpg 20180304_105703.jpg 15201872514541409938423.jpg

Going to try real hard to get the bottom of the right wing done today. I may run out of black covering for the stripes. But I'll keep at it.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
So all the wood work is done and the covering is started. Covering can be satisfying and frustrating. The plane starts to look like a plane and starts to look better and better. The only part that at times I get frustrated at is the tiny air bubbles and working them out. Looking good so far.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Grrr... realized I don't have enough white to start the wings. Soooo.... I guess I will start putting the top accent colors on the stabs/elevators. Very slow going because I have to cut everything by hand.
15202011697751741710025.jpg 20180304_145643.jpg 20180304_145652.jpg 20180304_145701.jpg

Not sure how this is going to look once the other colors are on. I hope it looks good.

More later...