• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Petitioning AMA members for separation from drones

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
anyone else use the new Facebook functionality to post this thread to their facebook page? Post once (here), share twice (as Facebook)!

I just did! :)

garlandk

100cc
Personally if the AMA seperates it now it will make the AMA look bad in the FAAs eyes and they will just make us register anyway. I would be careful....
Many of those complaining should have contacted the FAA and AMA years ago but you waited till this happened.
At this point you need to contact the FAA and say your 2 cents.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
i just emailed Bob Brown, basically said **** or get off the pot. it's time for the FAA to fight this overreaching rule but I have a hard time pushing too hard in any one direction as I am involved with and understand the positions of all of the parties involved(fixed wing modeling, fixed wing full scale G/A and commercial, and multi-rotor). i'm most heartbroken though when I read your posts here at GiantScaleNews.com as the traditional fixed-wing AMA clubmembers are getting the biggest kick in the nuts of anyone.

Last edited:

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
The ama has basically said in a letter that the faa has the power to override the 2012 congress law. I signed the petition but it will fall on def ears. I will see if I can copy the wording they used in my buddies email. He told them he was not going to renew when they sent him a beg-o-gram for renewal. In my opinion, and many of you will disagree, but withdrawing for a year from the sport, and not spending a dime on the ama would send a pretty good message that we don't want fpv based multirotors in the ama at all. I am not for regulation on anyone but as an example you can look at the gun issue. Nuts/stupid people ruin it for the law abiding people. The faa, I really have no beef with. They MUST protect people flying in real aircraft from some schmuck floating around at 2500 feet with his gopro going. I think the faa was going to ban fpv based drones and the AMA and the FAA came up with this pile of steaming....law together. Just my 2 cents.

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
Personally if the AMA seperates it now it will make the AMA look bad in the FAAs eyes and they will just make us register anyway. I would be careful....
Many of those complaining should have contacted the FAA and AMA years ago but you waited till this happened.
I agree. but the ama already looks bad in everyones eyes. In my opinion, everyone on this forum and all the other airplane forums can form a new fixed wing association that governs just fixed wing aircraft and represents us in washington. With no other special interest people at the top as board members pushing their agenda.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I agree. but the ama already looks bad in everyones eyes. In my opinion, everyone on this forum and all the other airplane forums can form a new fixed wing association that governs just fixed wing aircraft and represents us in washington. With no other special interest people at the top as board members pushing their agenda.
Actually there is just such a group, sorta, already. http://www.nasascale.org/ It is for scale modelers but might be a good starting point of a new group for all fixed wing.

Astrohog

70cc twin V2
UMMM...NEWS FLASH.........the FAA ALREADY THREW THE AMA UNDER THE BUS!

That is some weird logic.....Don't ask the AMA to advocate for their membership because they may look bad to the FAA? REALLY??

I fully expect to have to register....no big deal....until the FAA realizes (they may already know this and have plan B in the queue!) that registration really does nothing to solve the problem and continue to make knee-jerk legislations until our hobby no longer exists. Best to try and show them not only how we feel, but do a better job of explaining the facts, and how there really is no need to regulate the "traditional" modelers based on our 80 year track record of safe, responsible operations.

Regards,

Astro

garlandk

100cc
UMMM...NEWS FLASH.........the FAA ALREADY THREW THE AMA UNDER THE BUS!

That is some weird logic.....Don't ask the AMA to advocate for their membership because they may look bad to the FAA? REALLY??

I fully expect to have to register....no big deal....until the FAA realizes (they may already know this and have plan B in the queue!) that registration really does nothing to solve the problem and continue to make knee-jerk legislations until our hobby no longer exists. Best to try and show them not only how we feel, but do a better job of explaining the facts, and how there really is no need to regulate the "traditional" modelers based on our 80 year track record of safe, responsible operations.

Regards,

Astro

The FAA sees us as an aircraft flying in the NAS. As our hobby grows and more people do it we will have the same problem even if we were seperated now.... Again take my advice call the FAA and let their phones ring voicing your opinions in an intelligent way! Let them hear your story. They are always welcome to phone calls.

Astrohog

70cc twin V2
The FAA sees us as an aircraft flying in the NAS. As our hobby grows and more people do it we will have the same problem even if we were seperated now.... Again take my advice call the FAA and let their phones ring voicing your opinions in an intelligent way! Let them hear your story. They are always welcome to phone calls.
The FAA has admitted in the past that they have (had) no intention of regulating "traditional" modeling activities. They obviously (at one point) saw the same distinction that we are continuing to advocate for.

I understand that you make your living flying drones, and that you may have more difficulty seeing it the same way as the majority of the AMA members.

Regards,

Astro