• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Organizing RC events

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
This question is geared more toward all of the Smiths and anyone else who would like to voice a response but I figured that Joe and Jim would have some knowledge and insight into it so it is appropriate to ask here.

What does it take to have a successful fly-in event at your club and how far will people generally be willing to drive to get there?

What are the key elements?

How important is the location and what can you do to attract people from longer distances?

What amenities are needed? For instance we have a very nice field here with a large paved runway, awesome pit area, a nice shade canopy structrue, a chuck wagon, and plenty of parking, but camping on-site is not allowed by the city and there is no water or power to the property (yet).

What is an appropriate landing fee?

teookie

70cc twin V2
I've wondered some of the same things. My current club is struggling to stay afloat and I think a large 3D event might just help it out. Problem is (well, there are several problems) that only a couple guys there fly 3D (me and cmala being most of them, lol). It's just that the warbird and big bird events are just not attended very well at all. We also have the problem of being pretty close to a lot of other great 3D events, so the schedule would be quite crowded if we tried to throw an event too.

But then again, maybe with some good advice from experienced 3D event hosts we could make it happen.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Our field is not in a bad location but not really great either. Our big fly-in event last year was attended by some people from Colorado, Idaho, California, Arizona, and Nevada. I think there were close to 100 registered pilots so I know some people will come from other areas but I'd really like to have a successful event that is after the manner of Huckfest or FLI. Our club is a great place for late fall or spring events and could even work well for winter. How ablout a Mid-Feb huckfest or Early March? Just throwing some ideas out there but I'd like to hear from someone with experience on this.

One of the biggest concerns would be funding since we would have to boost up a lot of the services available at the field for that weekend.

I will have to give this some thought so I will bring it to dads attention.

One thing that really made us want to go to an event was who was going to be there. We were always more likely to go to events where companies would attend or big names in the hobby would attend. I went to my first huckfest only to meet Ben Fisher and Andrew. On that note, I know of a few clubs that pay a pilots way each year in order to bring more people to the event.

I will try to come up with some more ideas, this was just the first thing that popped into my head.

Joe's Dad

70cc twin V2
Lots of things effect a successful event. Big or small. Sometimes the really big ones are not as much fun as a smaller well run event.
Getting people to want to return the 2nd time is what is important. Having more than one member doing all the work helps a lot too.
Obviously a nice place to fly at is important. Lots of open space. Paved runways are cool. But I find that people tend to fly a bit higher over asphalt than grass.:) So don't think you need a
paved runway to have a great event. Grass leaves stains, Asphalt usually requires repairs. Think about it.:)
Safety is important, but too many rules will run people off. Most people flying at 3D events are usually pretty good pilots and are able to keep control of their planes.
If you have important site rules make them known to everyone, early in the show so everyone understands them. An over zealous safety director that has never experienced a 3D event and
doesn't really understand AMA rules can ruin a show pretty quickly. If you see someone flying that is way beyond their piloting skills, and a danger to others, then kindly ground them and ask them to spectate.
Heli's and EDF foamy jets will take the fun out of a 3D event pretty quickly. Either give the heli's a spot to fly at or give them some time of their own the main flight line. Or ask them to not fly when the bigger planes are in the air. But send the EDF foamy guys somewhere else. Nothing scares a 3D large scale pilot more than having something zipping thru the sky that they cant see. If you have FOG members that want to see your show fail? Call their wife's and tell em to keep em at home. If they do show up, give them a job like parking cars and emptying the trash cans.
If a kid shows up at the flight line with a 3D foamy plane, give them spare batteries so they can keep flying. If you have a PA system, encourage them.
Good food is always a plus. Its never any fun to have to leave and go get something to eat. Most of these guys will eat anything, so always having something edible is a plus. Pilot meals on Saturday nights are always fun. People really like raffles too. Which help the club to make money. So spend some time contacting RC companies and ask for donations.
Keep the landing fees to a minimum. Don't try to make money on the landing fees, just cover your costs of feeding them.
You want people flying at your event. Kids and Women should be FREE.
Tying your event to a theme like Toys for Tots, Diabetes research, breast cancer awareness will bring in spectators. Seriously, try it. Communities will get involved. Always a good thing.
If your going to have night flying(advisable), rent 1 or 2 light towers. If you don't have power in the pits, buy some extra gas for the light towers and let people plug into them during
the day to charge stuff. Or have a good generator on site. 30 small Gens running all the time is no fun for anyone.
If your going to have a rule like no gas planes after 10:00pm, then let the gas guys have the air until 10:00.
FWIW, Bowling Green Kentucky has one of the nicest RC fields we have ever been too. Some members also really know how to flip burgers.
Allow people to sell stuff. Keep any fees to vendors at a bare minimum, or free. Make it worthwhile for them. Nothing like being able to purchase a prop or something cause you need one.
You should invite Fred from Higher planes to attend your show. Free advertising.
If you can allow people to camp, big or small, let them.
Provide a list of good hotels in the area to help people plan their trips.
A good Google address to put in the GPS helps too.
Nice clean porta johns are a must. If yours have been crapped in for the last 10 years, rent a couple new ones.
If you don't have running water, set up something so people can wash their hands. Always a plus.
If you can get some of the plane vendors to come, be nice to them.
Not usually a lot of takers in games like hover bowling. A few will but most wont risk their planes. Most just want to fly and enjoy the day. Not a big deal either way.

Let people have fun, feed them well. Make it a family environment.
And be nice to them.

Oh Brownies are way cool too.

Cmala

70cc twin V2
Lets see,

Our club doesn't allow night flying, no vendors are allowed so we would have to provide food, I'm not sure about camping,

Trent, I would be willing to help put on an event at our club but that probably means that we will have to show up at a few club meetings:what:

The other club in town would make a good location. They have a very large turnout at their sailplane event each year

Cmala

70cc twin V2
Lets see,

Our club doesn't allow night flying, no vendors are allowed so we would have to provide food, I'm not sure about camping,

Trent, I would be willing to help put on an event at our club but that probably means that we will have to show up at a few club meetings:what:

The other club in town would make a good location. They have a very large turnout at their sailplane event each year

Nothing in our club rules about camping. Night flying is allowed with either a 3 lb restriction or as part of a contest. No vendors of any kind at any time. No alcohol allowed on site.