• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New Here? Introduce yourself!

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Thanks everyone for the advice and opinions.

3dNater - thanks for your input

dth7 - cool pilot. I think I chose Yoda a my name because in time I may 'get' the Force and manage amazing flying feats!! (and I do look a little like that. :) ) I'll have a better look at the EP Extra and Lasers

alawson999 - EPP is something I'll cover below and thanks for the advice about the learning line.

Where am I at in my flying? I started again after a 14 yr break at the beginning of this year. I was advised to get a Chris Foss ARTF Acrowot as I had some previous flying experience. This I did and have put in an ASP 70 FS nitro engine. I have been flying it so far without mishap, though I've had a few close calls. :eek: I am getting more used to it and really loving it. I want to get beyond the flying in circles stage using lots of trim and stuff to stay straight and level, so am in the process of trimming it properly. C of G aft, lateral stability, axial stability etc; basically trim it out so that I can fly it without having to worry too much about built in nasties.

While I learn to fly properly with this I'm looking for something for the future. My aircraft history has been balsa and nitro. Love them both!! I am really resisting electrics and foam. I only decided on the Katana or Addiction X because I liked their looks and enjoyed how they perform although they are electric. Ideally I'd like a balsa with ic / nitro or petrol.

I have watched dozens of video clips about 3D flying and trimming and everything. They all suggest EPP and practice, practice, practice. I agree with this but resist the foam. I'll just have to bite the bullet and 'do' it. Doh!

Another thing. Don't worry about being presumptuous with me. I have no problem listening to advice even if I've heard it loads of times. :cool:

Thanks again to everyone.

We're all just giving you a few more options. You'll find this community very giving with advice and information. Many of the folks on here have "flown" in your path and learned through mistakes, some costly! We just try to build on that so the next in line can avoid some pitfalls. We're big on paying it forward too. So when you benefit, try to do the same for others. You sound like you've been talking to some "classic" model flyers and builders and that's great. If 3D is a direction you want to go this is a great resource and the people here will help. Decide what you want to do and then seek out those who do it. We can put you in touch if we can't answer the questions directly. Where are you located?
Take care and good luck with the next steps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoda

30cc
We're all just giving you a few more options. You'll find this community very giving with advice and information. Many of the folks on here have "flown" in your path and learned through mistakes, some costly! We just try to build on that so the next in line can avoid some pitfalls. We're big on paying it forward too. So when you benefit, try to do the same for others. You sound like you've been talking to some "classic" model flyers and builders and that's great. If 3D is a direction you want to go this is a great resource and the people here will help. Decide what you want to do and then seek out those who do it. We can put you in touch if we can't answer the questions directly. Where are you located?
Take care and good luck with the next steps.

dth7 - I am a great believer in paying forward. At the moment I feel that I can only pay forward to real beginners, but in time as I gain knowledge and experience I'll be able to pay my dues so to speak. I'd like to see more youngsters in the sport. At the club I fly at we are pretty much all seniors although I may be one of the 'youngsters' at 54!! Having had this chat with you guys in this section I am forming an opinion that resistance is futile when it comes to electric and foam as a learning step and as the great Yoda said "Do or do not, there is no try" So I'll 'do'.

I live near a place called Dover in the county of Kent in the South East of the United Kingdom. Our club is on the old site of Royal Flying Corps / Royal Air force Swingate which was a WW1 airbase initially then became a radar / listening post in WW2 as it is so near to France. One of the elements for flying that we have an abundance of where I fly is wind in varying degrees. So any foamy I get will need to be fairly substantial to cope with it. I've been on the Hobby King website and seen some there that might do the job. Two that spring to mind are the OK Yak 55 and the Sbach 342EPP 3D. I've also been looking at Michael Wargos' 1 2 3D how to 3D series. (A starting point)

I wholly agree with the path you suggest but a possible problem I have is that I don't think there are any 3D flyers at my club, so finding a mentor could be tricky.

Thanks again to all of you for your suggestions and comments.

dth7

dth7 - I am a great believer in paying forward. At the moment I feel that I can only pay forward to real beginners, but in time as I gain knowledge and experience I'll be able to pay my dues so to speak. I'd like to see more youngsters in the sport. At the club I fly at we are pretty much all seniors although I may be one of the 'youngsters' at 54!! Having had this chat with you guys in this section I am forming an opinion that resistance is futile when it comes to electric and foam as a learning step and as the great Yoda said "Do or do not, there is no try" So I'll 'do'.

I live near a place called Dover in the county of Kent in the South East of the United Kingdom. Our club is on the old site of Royal Flying Corps / Royal Air force Swingate which was a WW1 airbase initially then became a radar / listening post in WW2 as it is so near to France. One of the elements for flying that we have an abundance of where I fly is wind in varying degrees. So any foamy I get will need to be fairly substantial to cope with it. I've been on the Hobby King website and seen some there that might do the job. Two that spring to mind are the OK Yak 55 and the Sbach 342EPP 3D. I've also been looking at Michael Wargos' 1 2 3D how to 3D series. (A starting point)

I wholly agree with the path you suggest but a possible problem I have is that I don't think there are any 3D flyers at my club, so finding a mentor could be tricky.

Thanks again to all of you for your suggestions and comments.
[MENTION=3252]Yoda[/MENTION]. I hear the age issue loud and clear. We work with the kids as much as we can here in NH near Portsmouth (after school programs, sim, intro and buddy box flying at events,etc. With your location and abundant Aviation history at the flying field I can see how warbirds would be the popular choice. Mike Wargo has some good videos out. There's a new one on high alpha flying and harriers with the Addiction that is quite good. We have a tutorial thread here as well and Wamsy and Cody Wojcik have done both sim and live tutorials. I'm not sure of availability of Twisted Hobbys in the UK but you may want to look at the larger EPPs- 39" +/- unless you have any indoor facilities! The "minis" and "lites" 22-32" make great indie flyers.
Your mentors will have to be the video tutorials and simulator like many have used successfully.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=637440453013263&id=411037272320250
Here's a link to a nice thread here from Doc Austin which includes Mike Wargos new vid on our Facebook page. There are more links there as well. Our club is Fremont Flyers Fremontflyers.com I put quite a bit of "public resources" up there too.
BTW I was not "preaching" on the pay it forward just making mention.
Glad you have the enthusiasm to learn something new and be a trend setter at your club. "Resistance will come, use the force, rewards you will find!"
Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoda

30cc
[MENTION=3252]Yoda[/MENTION]. I hear the age issue loud and clear. We work with the kids as much as we can here in NH near Portsmouth (after school programs, sim, intro and buddy box flying at events,etc. With your location and abundant Aviation history at the flying field I can see how warbirds would be the popular choice. Mike Wargo has some good videos out. There's a new one on high alpha flying and harriers with the Addiction that is quite good. We have a tutorial thread here as well and Wamsy and Cody Wojcik have done both sim and live tutorials. I'm not sure of availability of Twisted Hobbys in the UK but you may want to look at the larger EPPs- 39" +/- unless you have any indoor facilities! The "minis" and "lites" 22-32" make great indie flyers.
Your mentors will have to be the video tutorials and simulator like many have used successfully.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=637440453013263&id=411037272320250
Here's a link to a nice thread here from Doc Austin which includes Mike Wargos new vid on our Facebook page. There are more links there as well. Our club is Fremont Flyers Fremontflyers.com I put quite a bit of "public resources" up there too.
BTW I was not "preaching" on the pay it forward just making mention.
Glad you have the enthusiasm to learn something new and be a trend setter at your club. "Resistance will come, use the force, rewards you will find!"
Cheers!

[MENTION=769]dth7[/MENTION]. The club I belong to is http://bloobirds.org.uk/. I believe that I have seen the Mike Wargo Addiction x videos - impressive. I have noticed Wamsy videos but at a late time before bed. I'll have a look for him and the others you mention later. We are not as web technologically able at our club but as I get my feel under the table I shall suggest a greater presence in the media. They are a really friendly bunch and will help out with anything but I hope they are not too closed to new and younger members that might like to be 3D "hooligans".
I had no thought that you were "preaching". It's great to see people who have the same ethos as myself.
I was looking at the larger EPPs on HK and will see if Twisted Hobbies stuff is available in the UK.

It has occurred to me that I have been chatting away about all sorts of stuff here and was wondering if I'm off topic?

Cheers.

alawson999

70cc twin V2
No problem for me

There are other threads you might want to check out

The new sport flyers guide to 3D

And

The discuss anything thread

FYI - I also returned to the hobby after a 30 year absence

Been back for about 2 1/2 years

I too have clubs that are full of nice people who do not fly 3D

I consider myself a 3D and XA pilot of intermediate skills - just trying to fly and improve a bit every day - only because it makes me happy.

One last thread -

You might be addicted to 3D if ...

dth7

No problem for me

There are other threads you might want to check out

The new sport flyers guide to 3D

And

The discuss anything thread

FYI - I also returned to the hobby after a 30 year absence

Been back for about 2 1/2 years

I too have clubs that are full of nice people who do not fly 3D

I consider myself a 3D and XA pilot of intermediate skills - just trying to fly and improve a bit every day - only because it makes me happy.

One last thread -

You might be addicted to 3D if ...

Lol! Last one!
This is an intro thread and you have been introducing yourself! Pics of what and where you fly are always good here.

Yoda

30cc
Lol! Last one!
This is an intro thread and you have been introducing yourself! Pics of what and where you fly are always good here.

I think this will be my last post on this thread!! I'll take some photos of where I fly and my Ripmax Acrowot. I also have the J!ve a funfly type thingy that I need to maiden.

There won't be much to see of the 'runway' as its only a 60 feet diameter circle of mown field.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok so it's been far to long since I have made some introductions and we have had several in the past couple weeks.

Sending a welcome to everyone listed below. Some have said hi on their own and I appreciate it much. We hope you all enjoy the community we have created here and if ANY of you have questions about anything just ask! The guys here are awesome and super friendly.
[MENTION=3219]chosenone[/MENTION] [MENTION=3220]tchanter[/MENTION] [MENTION=3222]kohersh[/MENTION] [MENTION=3223]bsbristow[/MENTION] [MENTION=3225]stickbanger[/MENTION] (cool user name!) [MENTION=3226]harryw13[/MENTION] [MENTION=3227]pankaj.mody[/MENTION] [MENTION=3228]RC Dad[/MENTION] [MENTION=3229]AMM45[/MENTION] [MENTION=3230]Iskandar3D[/MENTION] [MENTION=3233]Chefia[/MENTION] [MENTION=3234]fredricmnc[/MENTION] [MENTION=3237]Tweek[/MENTION] [MENTION=3238]cjlcowboys[/MENTION] [MENTION=3239]clarkj[/MENTION] [MENTION=3240]IrishLion[/MENTION] [MENTION=3241]Elliodm[/MENTION] [MENTION=3242]Tileeka[/MENTION] (Skyward Hobbies!) [MENTION=3244]ECODRONES[/MENTION] [MENTION=3245]Tommyrox[/MENTION] [MENTION=3246]skyver[/MENTION] [MENTION=3248]TeamEdge[/MENTION] (Bill Hemple!) [MENTION=3249]TEUPC[/MENTION] [MENTION=3252]Yoda[/MENTION] [MENTION=3254]E.N.[/MENTION] [MENTION=3260]Bkametz[/MENTION]
@mosseknuckle44 [MENTION=3264]Torchy[/MENTION] ( ideleted his account by accident and he still came back! You rock man)

If you haven't already, tell us about yourself. Where do you all fly and what you fly? Pics gets you extra street cred!

SnowDog

Hey new guys, let me add my greeting to those of [MENTION=2643]3DMIKE[/MENTION]...really glad to have new guys on board, especially since some of those "new guys" have been around this hobby longer than some of us have been alive! ;)

Hope you enjoy here, your contributions will go along way towards helping us all enjoy this community...besides, we love pictures and videos and stories!

[willkommen!]