• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Looking at a 60" class plane

I am looking at buying something in the 60" range for 3D and general sport flying.

The current contenders are:
  • 3DHS 57" Extra 330SC
  • 3DHS 58" Edge
  • EF 60" Edge 540T EXP
  • EF 64" MXS
  • PA Katana MX

I am looking for some input from folks who have flown one or more of these airframes on how they fly. Ideally, some folks will have flown more than one and can provide some comparisons.

Thanks!

Matt

gyro

GSN Contributor
I am looking at buying something in the 60" range for 3D and general sport flying.

The current contenders are:
  • 3DHS 57" Extra 330SC
  • 3DHS 58" Edge
  • EF 60" Edge 540T EXP
  • EF 64" MXS
  • PA Katana MX

I am looking for some input from folks who have flown one or more of these airframes on how they fly. Ideally, some folks will have flown more than one and can provide some comparisons.

Thanks!

Matt

I've owned & flown all except the PA. Great list of aircraft. Maybe you could share what specific type of flying you do, or what maneuvers you enjoy?

njswede

150cc
FWIW, the only plane I've flown (and currently own) in that list is the 58" 3DHS Edge. I'm very happy with that plane. It's extremely easy to fly. Harriers are perfectly stable "hands off". I recently flew Gyro's Edge in 20mph winds and it just sits there in the wind harriering. At the same time, it's (as far as I can tell) a very capable plane. Pop-tops and spins are amazing! There's really nothing I don't like about it.

quadracer

100cc
I've flown and still fly the 57 SC. Love it! Does great harrier flight, probably not as good as the 58 Edge but still easy-peasy, and will absolutely wad itself up in high-energy maneuvers.

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
Those are all great aircraft. I have flown all of them except the Extra MX so I will add what I know about them.

The EF Edge 540T-EXP is a fantastic airplane. It's floaty, forgiving, has rock-solid harriers, and is one of the easiest planes to fly slow, land, and do 3D with. However it is also extremely precise when flown a little faster and tracks very well.

The 57" Extra is actually very similar to the EF Edge. It's a bit smaller so it's not quite as precise and it presents a little smaller, but it's just as floaty and easy to fly. It harriers extremely well, and it might need a touch more speed to track through precision maneuvers.

The 64" MXS is my favorite 60" plane right now. Even though harriers are no-rock, it's wild and crazy in 3D and will tumble extremely well. It has wild pitch and yaw authority and can do some incredible things. It also has an extremely But it's also clean and precise and tracks extremely well at high speeds.

The 58" 3DHS Edge feels similar to the 64" MXS to me. It has great tail authority and tumbles a hair better. However, it's not quite as precise and stable at high speeds and it doesn't track as well.

The EF planes are a little bit bigger and feel best with bigger batteries...4S 5000, 5S 4000, or 6S 3300 (the stock Torque motor with a 6S 3300 is where it's at IMO). The 3DHS planes are smaller and fly best on lighter batteries...4S 4000, 5S 3300, 6S 2650. The EF planes also need slightly stronger servos like 5245's or better yet 7245's or S9070's, whereas the 3DHS planes are usually fine on 225MG's.

They are all great airplanes and you would enjoy all of them.

Thanks, everyone, for the input. I'm a sport pilot, getting into more and more 3D. I'm currently flying a 48" EF Edge and working on harriers, pop tops, blenders and the like.

I save the low and slow stuff for my TH foamie. :)

I've read thousands of pages on Internet commentary, watched videos, and measurebated this to death, and I've decided to go with the 60" Edge 540t from EF.

My proposed setup:
EF 60" Edge with recommended Torque motor and Airboss ESC (combo on the website)
Hitec 5245s all around
Glacier 3300 or 4000 mAh 6s packs
Castle BEC Pro
Spektrum 8000 Rx

Anyone see any issues here?

gyro

GSN Contributor
I've read thousands of pages on Internet commentary, watched videos, and measurebated this to death, and I've decided to go with the 60" Edge 540t from EF.

My proposed setup:
EF 60" Edge with recommended Torque motor and Airboss ESC (combo on the website)
Hitec 5245s all around
Glacier 3300 or 4000 mAh 6s packs
Castle BEC Pro
Spektrum 8000 Rx

Anyone see any issues here?

No need for the castle bec pro, the airboss ESC pumps out 6v of yummy juice for those servos. Also, I personally like the 6s3300 packs the best.

You're going to be VERY happy with that plane, I still deeply miss mine!

Naturally, now that I've got the choice made, EF is out of he combo motor.

I'll have to call them on Monday and see when they might be back in stock.

:)

And the word is "at least 4-5 weeks". :facepalm:

I guess the next option would be the Motrolfly 4315 in 480 or 500 kv on 6s.... Any thoughts from the more experienced folks?