• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Lipo vs Li-Ion

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Don't ask me why but I just read this entire thread and my head hurts! I think I'm going to put one Li Ion through a DCUP to run the left elevator and right Aileron and half the rudder. For redundancy and multi chemistry reliabilty, a LIPO will run the right elevator, left Aileron and the other half of the rudder. I'll hard wire an 8 ball to the telemetry receiver in my Tx to get real time load data. For reassurance, I'll plan a recharge of the lipo every third flight and the LiIon on every fourth. If I need another battery I'll jump in my Tesla to go home and get a new set of batts. If there are Warbirds at the field I'll use the Pius, I mean Prius since there won't be any rush and it's safer anyway!
I did just come up with this off the top of my head. I am NOT an engineer! "I'm the peckerwood that takes it up and lands it!" However, I do know more about LiIon vs Lipo in GS now. What's an 8 ball? I know I lose if it goes in before the other balls do.

Sorry fellas, I thought this thread needed and injection of humor! Hope it got a smile or two. Good stuff. Thanks.

3dbandit

100cc
Don't ask me why but I just read this entire thread and my head hurts! I think I'm going to put one Li Ion through a DCUP to run the left elevator and right Aileron and half the rudder. For redundancy and multi chemistry reliabilty, a LIPO will run the right elevator, left Aileron and the other half of the rudder. I'll hard wire an 8 ball to the telemetry receiver in my Tx to get real time load data. For reassurance, I'll plan a recharge of the lipo every third flight and the LiIon on every fourth. If I need another battery I'll jump in my Tesla to go home and get a new set of batts. If there are Warbirds at the field I'll use the Pius, I mean Prius since there won't be any rush and it's safer anyway!
I did just come up with this off the top of my head. I am NOT an engineer! "I'm the peckerwood that takes it up and lands it!" However, I do know more about LiIon vs Lipo in GS now. What's an 8 ball? I know I lose if it goes in before the other balls do.

Sorry fellas, I thought this thread needed and injection of humor! Hope it got a smile or two. Good stuff. Thanks.

:facepalm:

alawson999

70cc twin V2
Smiling as I type this -

It all depends on your selection criteria and what you want to optimize-

Having driven and ridden in Teslas and the Lotus platforms they came from, I can tell you it is pretty darned hard to get in and out, and a ride of more than a couple of hours is pretty uncomfortable.

In fairness, haven't had the chance to try an S model yet -

My point - cost is only one factor - different choices based on different individual criteria

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Smiling as I type this -

It all depends on your selection criteria and what you want to optimize-

Having driven and ridden in Teslas and the Lotus platforms they came from, I can tell you it is pretty darned hard to get in and out, and a ride of more than a couple of hours is pretty uncomfortable.

In fairness, haven't had the chance to try an S model yet -

My point - cost is only one factor - different choices based on different individual criteria

Perfectly said. Options is what it's all about and what you have in mind for the equipment!

Red7Fifty

Banned
I'll throw in my .02.
Last year, I built my 1st 40%.....Initially, I purchased a pair of Thunder Power 5000 2S G6 for my RX power, After 6 months of sitting inside the house, in controlled environment (always 70* room temp) and in the factory package, I get the batteries to prepare installation into the 40%.
To my shock, one of the packs was puffed. It was still new in package, so I sent it in to TP, and they replaced it, with a G8 version.
I was concerned with the reliability at this point, so the G6 went to serve duty as a RC car pack, and the replacement G8 was sold to a friend, who also used it as a RC Car pack.....I have several TP packs that I use for electric planes, and cars, and think they are great....but, the puffed new pack, intended for the RX on my new 40%, had me seriously concerned with the reliability, so I ordered a pair of Fromeco Relion 5200's. After finishing the 40%, then selling it, I purchased a Krill 33%, and again, I am going with another set of LiIons from Fromeco. Meanwhile, that G8 pack, also puffed up on my friend after only 4 or 5 cycles.........From this point on, I only see myself using the ReLions from Fromeco, as they were THE battery to use, dating back to my initial introduction in GS flying, around 2003,2004,2005,2006 eras......and, apparently, they are still delivering strong performance.
Ernie

Last edited by a moderator:

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I'll throw in my .02.
Last year, I built my 1st 40%.....Initially, I purchased a pair of Thunder Power 5000 2S G6 for my RX power, After 6 months of sitting inside the house, in controlled environment (always 70* room temp) and in the factory package, I get the batteries to prepare installation into the 40%.
To my shock, one of the packs was puffed. It was still new in package, so I sent it in to TP, and they replaced it, with a G8 version.
I was concerned with the reliability at this point, so the G6 went to serve duty as a RC car pack, and the replacement G8 was sold to a friend, who also used it as a RC Car pack.....I have several TP packs that I use for electric planes, and cars, and think they are great....but, the puffed new pack, intended for the RX on my new 40%, had me seriously concerned with the reliability, so I ordered a pair of Fromeco Relion 5200's. After finishing the 40%, then selling it, I purchased a Krill 33%, and again, I am going with another set of LiIons from Fromeco. Meanwhile, that G8 pack, also puffed up on my friend after only 4 or 5 cycles.........From this point on, I only see myself using the ReLions from Fromeco, as they were THE battery to use, dating back to my initial introduction in GS flying, around 2003,2004,2005,2006 eras......and, apparently, they are still delivering strong performance.
Ernie

Earnie,
I'm not being a LIPO cheerleader but am curious about "puffed". Some Lipos can "puff" slightly and be usable. Were these TPs unusable? IR extremely high with bad cells? Also sounds rare from what I've heard of, especially with TP. Were they pre-cycled?. Just curious. I've been using smaller (1800 and 2200) double packs for Rx and ign in my 78" extra for a season with no issues at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Earnie,
I'm not being a LIPO cheerleader but am curious about "puffed". Some Lipos can "puff" slightly and be usable. Were these TPs unusable? IR extremely high with bad cells? Also sounds rare from what I've heard of, especially with TP. Were they pre-cycled?. Just curious. I've been using smaller (1800 and 2200) double packs for Rx and ign in my 78" extra for a season with no issues at all.

Daren, I've seen some TP puffed at the local field, with use at published 30c rating for under 10 cycles. I finally bought my first set to try in a 48" edge. I'll be keeping close notes on their performance.
It's hard for me to accept any puffing when I have other batts not puffing at all.