• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Life gets in the way

doublea

100cc
I just was sitting around sulking (sp?) thinking about how much I would like to be flying. But things that have to be done before you can go. Then not much time to go after things are done. Two girls have caused me not to go. My wife tells me to go but the guilt still sets in.
What have you done to hang on to this beloved hobby.

I put everything in the attic for 25 years. After the kids were grown and gone I got it all back out looked it over and began buying large scale gas stuff, & electric, and some stuff to fix up the old glow stuff. Bottom line is if your really hooked the fire never really dies, but you may have to set it aside to take care of the important stuff first.

doublea

100cc
Sounds bout right. My two girls take up a lot of my time. I enjoy every minute. Work pretty much takes the rest.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I really lucked out today. My oldest daughter is getting married this year. Today, she, my wife, our younger daughter and all the bridesmaids went dress shopping! That meant I had the whole day to myself! Spent the entire day out in the workshop covering and hinging a tail-dragger I've been working on for a while. I think that was my first full day of airplanes since before thanksgiving.

Working 60 hours per week and raising a family is always an adventure. Just have to roll with the flow bro. One thing that really helped me out was getting my younger daughter involved. She's 9 years old and has a couple small quads and a foamie. She likes to fly my Night Vapor too. She's also built some Guillows free flight planes.

So, I set her up her own workspace out in the shop. Now we can both hang out and work on our projects at the same time. And don't fret if your girls aren't into airplanes. Set them up a workspace by yours. They can color, draw, do homework etc while you're working on your planes.

Here's a pic of her workspace.
image.jpg

doublea

100cc
Already done. I got a little place for them to paint. But my work car is in the way broke down.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I want to fly but I want to be with my girls too. Everybody knows you can't have it both ways. Just like you said.
gotta roll with the flo.
hope the girls get interested but time will tell. If they do that's great if they don't that's great. I will love them no matter what. Just like any other parent would do.

I'm feeling the pain too. But, I make a little time to go indoor flying with my buds. I have 3 airplanes that need to be finished in the basement for the new year. But I just can't seem to get my sorry ass off the couch to work on anything. All I do is sit here and think about my boy and screw off online.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I'm feeling the pain too. But, I make a little time to go indoor flying with my buds. I have 3 airplanes that need to be finished in the basement for the new year. But I just can't seem to get my sorry ass off the couch to work on anything. All I do is sit here and think about my boy and screw off online.

Hell. I do that and all my kids left the nest long ago. If I spent as much time on the sticks as the keyboard I might just be worth a damn.

Yep, life definitely happens. I was lucky. My son and I started in the hobby together 12 years ago. He is now 24 and a 2nd Lt in the Army but we still make time to fly together when time permits. However, like you guys, he found out like me that work, family, and friends take priority so time at the field is very precious indeed!

doublea

100cc
Yep, life definitely happens. I was lucky. My son and I started in the hobby together 12 years ago. He is now 24 and a 2nd Lt in the Army but we still make time to fly together when time permits. However, like you guys, he found out like me that work, family, and friends take priority so time at the field is very precious indeed!

Amen. Hope you guys don't take me the wrong way. I posted this thread to bring up the very thing you guys are speaking of. The stories of how you may have had to step out. Then get back in. You know how you started back to flying.
My family is the most important part of my life. RC definitely takes a backseat to that. But I definitely miss flying. So I come in here to live through you guys and what you do. But I believe this year with my wife's permission :) I will be doing some flying this year.
I thought about how this title was stated and said it may could have been misunderstood.

Amen. Hope you guys don't take me the wrong way. I posted this thread to bring up the very thing you guys are speaking of. The stories of how you may have had to step out. Then get back in. You know how you started back to flying.
My family is the most important part of my life. RC definitely takes a backseat to that. But I definitely miss flying. So I come in here to live through you guys and what you do. But I believe this year with my wife's permission :) I will be doing some flying this year.
I thought about how this title was stated and said it may could have been misunderstood.

No problem. I was heavy into golf when my son was born and like you are dealing with in the RC hobby, I had to step away from the golf hobby for many years. It was not until he was a "tween" that we picked up the RC hobby and have not looked back since. The same will happen to you and your kids. It's all good!:way_to_go: