• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport JTEC RADIOWAVE 26% Pitts Model 12

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Rob,

If you had the same problem, I am sure you would have noticed it by now. I probably shouldn't have said anything. My apologies.

If you recall, I suggested you use Baby for your IMAC plane. I know your Sukhoi is an AWESOME flyer, but I have ALWAYS loved the 260. Have fun, but don't deny Baby too much, cause you know what they say about red heads. . . . . . . :laughing:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
And awaaaaay we go. With the cowl sanded first with 220 to knock off the worst ridges and high spots, I then sanded it with 400 grit. Gave it a nice warm soapy bath with dishsoap. Rinsed really well, then another drying bath with 90% alcohol. Wiped down and ready for primer.

20170319_105501.jpg 20170319_105507.jpg 20170319_105513.jpg 20170319_105519.jpg 20170319_105525.jpg 20170319_105538.jpg

Lets make this thing white primer shall we?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Aaaaaand "THIS" is why I hate to paint. I know enough to stay away from it. But noooooo.....I just gotta try it. I know also enough that the final paint is totally dependent upon the prep work. Apparently I missed something. I SHOLD HAVE GONE FLYING. UGH!!!!

20170319_110659.jpg
20170319_110714.jpg

The only damn part of the cowl that took primer without "fish eyeing" was the cooling vent/louvers. What the hell. @Jetpainter can you offer a suggestion on what I did here? Or is it the cowl? Do I need to sand it all off and use a "filler" primer?

This is probably what David @HRRC Flyer was talking about.

Stupid....stupid....stupid!!!

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
They're not fisheyes they're pinholes in the fiberglass. You will need to fill them in with something. My preference is a product called Dolphin Glaze. It's a thin two part polyester glaze. You could use a lacquer based spot putty which is a tad easier to use, but the two part holds up better.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Any good bodyshop supplier will have some type of pourable two part glaze. Scuff up your primer with 400 or so, not enough to remove much primer, just enough to give the filler some bite. Then go over all the pinholes with your filler trying to press it into the holes, but not build up much on the rest. Sand it with 220 until you've sanded off all the excess filler and all you see is the dots where it filled the holes. When you start seeing glass stop. You don't want to sand the glass much because you can open up more pinholes. Reprime and see where you are. Use a strong beam flashlight to shine across the surface at a shallow angle. That will make the pinhole stand out so you can find them.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I feel for you if there is anything that I am good at is screwing up a cowl when painting. A number off times when painting a cowl some thing happened. There are a number off times that I have painted a cowl at least 5 times and still not happy but so discouraged that I left it and installed it and went flying. One thing that is great is we have Jetpainter to advise us and help, which I did not have before.

Rob .
Man do I feel for you !! I had the same problem with mine , I must have chased pin holes for a week on mine .
I used some PPG spot putty that was dark grey in color on mine. I gave the hole cowl a coat of it then sanded then more putty and primed in .
It was not fun but I finely got them all. Just hang in there ,I know it is a pain in the A$$ but at the end it will be worth it . As super nice job you have done on the plane so far don't give up now !!

Van

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Rob .
Man do I feel for you !! I had the same problem with mine , I must have chased pin holes for a week on mine .
I used some PPG spot putty that was dark grey in color on mine. I gave the hole cowl a coat of it then sanded then more putty and primed in .
It was not fun but I finely got them all. Just hang in there ,I know it is a pain in the A$$ but at the end it will be worth it . As super nice job you have done on the plane so far don't give up now !!

Van
Thanks I appreciate that, the help you get from GSN is great and makes building just so more enjoyable.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Rob .

Van
Well isn't this funny/odd. Just came up to update my progress. I was so exasperated I decided to go out and put a couple of laps on the Sukhoi. On the way home I stopped by to pick up some spot/glazing putty. Pin holes? Ha! Ok, yeah.....I don't think so. Maybe a little over kill and maybe a little more sanding to be done. But I am so over this cowl.

20170319_165844.jpg
20170319_165855.jpg
20170319_165903.jpg

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
. . . . . . . . I SHOLD HAVE GONE FLYING. UGH!!!!

This is probably what David @HRRC Flyer was talking about

All I can say is that cowl looks VERY familiar. . . . . . . :speechless:. My buddy sent me a picture of his and the two cowls look like twins (minus the louvers). I will tell you the same thing I told my Buddy. Don't let it get you down. Just think about the AWESOME plane you will have when everything is finished. You're already well on your way to getting your cowl ready for the purple part. . . . . :yesss:.

One more thing BTW. You SHOULD have gone flying. . . . . . . :spongebob:[/QUOTE]