• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Joe Smith quits 3DHS!

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
Well said. There is generally a black hole of sorts in RC. That time between high school graduation and the establishment of a career. Playing with toy planes is not a priority while attending college and the post college search for a job. There are things in life much more important than showing off with an RC plane. I'm a bit more in tune with this being a high school teacher, at age 18 these young people wake up and realize they have a lot riding on the next few years.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Both great points guys, I know I wasn't interested in the hobby at all when I was Joe's age....

But considering he didn't say he was taking a hiatus for studies, and he said he wanted to get back to flying more now, I can only speculate on how he will do that.

I think he'll do it with a new ARF vendor, and we'll continue to see him promoting his sponsors at events, just like he said:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413420210.874069.jpg

I think speculation on a shift in focus away from this hobby is inaccurate.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
I think speculation on a shift in focus away from this hobby is inaccurate.

I think that if he is going to college, the shift in focus is bound to change, Gary. No one said he's leaving the hobby, but the focus he applied to achieve what he has as a 3D pilot has to be weighed against what it takes for success as a full time college student. So he's not leaving the hobby -- none of us with the bug ever do -- but the shift in focus is inevitable, I would have to think. Like I said, I could be wrong. Maybe the next sponsor should put him in an airframe that can compete better in the tournaments with hefty purses. If I remember correctly, Quique won $40,000 in TOC in 1998 and won the same amount again in 1999. Hyde won $25,000 for second place -- 25 years ago. The hobby would certainly be deserving of *focus* from guys with Joe's skills if that kind of money was still available instead of a $12 trophy. Not sure what other events have a purse other than XFC and TAS. Anyone know?

xlr8tion

50cc
Yeah...I saw that Ventique 60E he designed

I wonder if he will show up as a team member for Flex Innovations?

And that "Shark Tooth Leading Edge" has alot of potential.

1. Cutting downed power lines

2. Tree trimming

And

3. Tape cutting at business opening dedications.

Seriously.....

Shark tooth leading edge?

Is that a DARPA technology?

PS...Ironic how leaving the biz as Team Pilot gives you more flying time.

Last edited by a moderator:

YellowJacketsRC

70cc twin V2
The shark tooth leading edge is designed as a vortex generator. I have done some experiments with them, they do make a noticeable difference in control authority, but they typically add drag in all flight envelopes. The cool thing about these shark teeth is that they do not add much of any drag unless your in high alpha, which is supposedly she you need them most.

But what I found in my experiments is that the vortex generators do little to reduce wing rock in high alpha, but do noticeably help in control authority throughout all flight envelopes. Based on my experience, I would say that the shark teeth may give a little control authority in high alpha, but that's about it.

xlr8tion

50cc
Jason, I personally think that Joe's explanation is a polite way of splitting from your first and biggest sponsor, without telling any of the true reasons for the split.

I think it's fair to say that Joe handled the split with respect and professionalism, however the real reasons are probably being hidden.

I also think Joe will be announcing a new airframe sponsor within a short period of time. Since he's selling all his airplanes, (POST) I think it'll be hard to "get back to flying" with nothing to fly...

Remind me not to cross you Gyro; your access to info is scary! If he is looking for a new Airframe sponsor what does that say about 3DHS?

I'll shut up now as I got in a world of trouble going down that path here in the past:facepalm:

xlr8tion

50cc
Dang...and here my cynical mind thought it was just some marketing gimmick...Although you know some "jamoke" is going to try to cut some thing with that after 1 to 15 Beers.

The shark tooth leading edge is designed as a vortex generator. I have done some experiments with them, they do make a noticeable difference in control authority, but they typically add drag in all flight envelopes. The cool thing about these shark teeth is that they do not add much of any drag unless your in high alpha, which is supposedly she you need them most.

But what I found in my experiments is that the vortex generators do little to reduce wing rock in high alpha, but do noticeably help in control authority throughout all flight envelopes. Based on my experience, I would say that the shark teeth may give a little control authority in high alpha, but that's about it.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
He said 3 things quite clearly.

3- I want to fly MORE

Because he has not been flying as much lately because he's been busy with the business end of the hobby... so it's a relative thing.

And the vortex generators are used to keep air from separating too quickly in high alpha. This means that the wing carries lift longer into a higher AoA, and the control surfaces are also continuing to operate longer because separation occurs later. With separation, comes turbulence, and with turbulence comes drag. So vortex generators delays separation, drag, and control surface stall. But like a thicker wing, which also does all of these things to a symmetrical wing, vortex generators on the slope of the leading edge cause drag when the AoA is zero. It looks like these are straight out from the leading edge, which is much better design to reduce drag at zero AoA than the ones you were using, Rob.

Not to get too far off topic, but that airplane seems pretty heavy for a 60" plane. Granted it has a lot of wing area.