• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Joe Nall 2016 = QUIET!!!

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
From Wes (flight line boss at the 3D line):

"Please everyone don't panic, I'm talking to the other Triple Tree guys and will let you know a more clear policy on the subject of noise, right now the main issue is "prop ripping" noise not mufflers. So as soon as I get something I'll post it."

That's more like it, let's wait and see a more thought out final decision.

They need to consider only punishing the offenders not everyone, first a warning, then if they keep it up, ask them to leave. I see the current new 2016 requirment(op) as: guilty until proven innocent. This reminds me of the TSA, everyone in the airport is guilty until they pass through TSA security.

We have faced noise issues for the past few seasons and now essentially every airplane is either on pipes, cans, or is a OS GT. My issue is how are they going to enforce this. We have strict noise testing. From what I saw on the 3D line with so many stock setups, I doubt many would be able to pass our noise requirements. We follow the AMA guidelines of 96db at 20 feet, 2 ft high. DA-120 can pass with quiet cans or ES pipes, but not RE2s or smooth pipes. Might require a 3 blade. Nothing stock will pass from DLE or DA. Even Jtec large pitts don't do the trick on 50cc. I have a painful amount of money and time learning all of this.

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I spoke to some Triple Tree Staff today, and discussed the wording of the statement on the TT website.

Admittedly, it was worded in a way that leads to the misunderstanding that the use of all three pieces of equipment would be required next year.

"...the biggest issue is that of prop ripping and constant full throttle flying..."

The TT statement will be reworded in a way to make it clearer that all of us, either by the use of one or more of the mentioned pieces of equipment. and/or by proper use of throttle management, will have to fly with acceptable noise levels.
The discussions also revealed that "98% of the flying was respecting the noise limits they would like to have, but 2% can spoil the fun for every one else"....
They will do what it takes to get this under control.

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
So at the risk of not passing noise restrictions and wasting an estimated 2-15 hour drive, loads of gas $$$$ and other expenses, most may decide not to make the trip to Nall.

Again, Punish the offenders at the event.......not everyone!!

Welcome to the 2016 TT Joe Nall event!!

Please read the following rules before you decide to attend the event as they will be STRICTLY enforced:

1. Noise levels will be STRICTLY monitored, you will receive one warning if you exceed the 96db noise level or rip the prop, if you violate the noise levels for a second time you will be asked to pack up and leave.

Last edited:

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
Me personally, not gonna let this get me down on my first of hopefully many trips to nall. Luckily I have a pair of pro flows laying around collecting dust that I will install in one of my planes just to be on the safe side (just placed an order for a new cowl as well). I also have a few Mej 29x10 props that I will bring with me just in case as I know they are quiet. Either way I plan to try and abide and have fun and will enjoy meeting a bunch of new rc nuts.

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
I have a bad habit of trying to deeply analyze things................

IMHO this is a thread was posted with a generically written rule to gather reactions from the people. The posted opinions will give them the fuel they need to write the final noise restriction rules and hopefully not punish the "98%"