• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Joe Nall 2016 = QUIET!!!

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
I have never tried cans. A fella at our club has a 42% with them and it sounds sweet. I have heard that they can make your engine have throttle peaks. Maybe there are ways do deal with that.

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
As far as 3 blade props, there are pros and cons. They really do quiet a plane down and help keep slower downlines. They do however slow down your roll rate a hair and have a little gyroscopic affect. Hovering is a little different too. Look on the bright side, at least we have a year to experiment. Nall should have a "quiet gasser competition". Might as well encourage it and award trophies.

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
Safe to say 2015 will be my last year to Joe Nall. I'm not going to take a weeks vaca, drive 9 hours just to be told how to fly or not fly. I have been flying for 18 years at my field and neighbors all round and not one peep about noise. What's next electric powered Harley Davidson. I find it hard to believe that the full scale planes in and out of triple tree will fall under any kind of noise ordinance.
harley.jpg

To late, Harley already has an electric!

I have to admit I am quite taken back about the negative response by this and the unwilling of some to change in order to keep flying fields. This is not an issue that is exclusive to Joe Nall. While I do not agree with the mandating of certain items I do 100% agree that we need to take major steps in getting our airplanes quieter. This is an issue that effects us all, whether you fly 3d, warbirds, IMAC or whatever, we all need to do our part to keep our hobby going. Just look at the Europeans, many of there countries have very strict sound rules and they are still flying. We just need to change our culture a bit when it comes to setups. If you think you can't 3D with canisters and a three blade go watch a video of Gernot Bruckmann and let me know if you still think you can't. At Joe Nall I flew several of our aircraft and to be perfectly honest in the air I could never hear my airplane. Most of our personal planes do have canisters or tuned pipes in them but some do have 2 blades while others have 3 blades.

As I said I am all for quieting down our aircraft but I do fear the mandating of certain items because you can have a very quiet aircraft without having canisters, a three blade or soft mounts. For those of you that have ever purchased a muffler directly from JTEC for your 20-85cc single you have seen on our website that we offer large versions of our wrap around pitts mufflers. These large versions can be just as quiet if not quieter then some of the canisters on the market. They are also much more affordable then a header/canister setup.

For your twins, yes you really do need to look into canister & tuned pipe setups due to the volume required to quiet them down but you can still have an extremely quiet airplane without the mandating of a 3 blade prop. We all just need to make some better decisions when purchasing that new prop and make sure you are not choosing a prop the flexes with rpm, that will lead to noise.

As for the soft mounts, this is an area I see a lot of issues with and I will admit I am not a fan. The problem I see is many of the 50-60cc engines on the market use standoffs for the engine, softmounts are not good for engines with soft mounts because they basically change the vibration and you are more likely to see a lot of broken standoffs. The other issues is without the use of a nose ring like they use on pattern airplanes with softmounts the engine is kind of all over the place. The hydemounts are decent but you still can run into the issues of the engine torquing in different directions.

I do also think there is a lot of over reaction right now without much concrete information. My final thought is if you actually look at the total investment you have into your airplane the couple hundred dollars difference for quieter exhaust in your 50cc & up airplane it really isn't that high.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I'll highlight what I am seeing:

Triple Tree will require...Canister mufflers, three blade props, “soft mounting” of engines, and less than full throttle passes...will be a requirement for Joe Nell 2016.

Translation:

You are required to be noise compliant for 2016. There is no uncertainty or "fuzzyness" about their statement. If you folks want to keep flying at the largest radio control event in the world then you need to step it up and adhere to their rules. You are a guest at the event, respect the rules and regulations set before you. This isn't a free for all party where you can do what you want to, the original location for Joe Nall got shut down because of all of the noise. Besides, you as an AMA member have agreed to adhere to the AMA noise requirements guideline:

Sound Limit Guidelines:

• 96db measured from 20’ distance over soft fi eld (sod)
  • 98db measured from 20’ distance over hard surface (pavement/ concrete)
This is taken straight from the AMA's ACADEMY OF MODEL AERONAUTICS MEMBERSHIP MANUAL 2015. You can download a copy of the manual and read it for yourself here, on page 6:

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/memanual.pdf

Turbine aircraft fall under the same regulations as well, they are not exempt. If we piston aircraft have to adhere to the rules, so do the turbine aircraft.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The one thing we need to know is the 2 DB readings the required teast. Or is the the equipment that is specified the requirement. Because even with the required equipment you have no control of total noise. With two DB readings you do. Bad cannesters and a to small 3 bladed add 90 durometer washers ander the motor mout will pass there requirements but still will be loud..

Last edited: