• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

It Can Happen...and It can Happen FAST

rcbobp

70cc twin V2
I like to use a lipo bag, but the balance leads from the charger to the balancing board aren't really long enough to get the batteries into the bag that much. Does anyone sell longer leads?

O

Ohio AV8TOR

rcbobp;16744 wrote: I like to use a lipo bag, but the balance leads from the charger to the balancing board aren't really long enough to get the batteries into the bag that much. Does anyone sell longer leads?

I use a LiPo Sack (the real one) all the time and yes you need extensions to make it easier. I have bought mine from here and here

Jeff you should change your method as I am pretty sure the glass lid will be pushed off in the event of a fire.

garlandk

100cc
I looked up lipo sacks on YouTube and saw there are some that don't work too well.... What I wish I could get is a flame locker. We have them at work but they are expensive!

siko_flyer

70cc twin V2
Ohio AV8TOR;16748 wrote: I use a LiPo Sack (the real one) all the time and yes you need extensions to make it easier. I have bought mine from here and here

Jeff you should change your method as I am pretty sure the glass lid will be pushed off in the event of a fire.
Ray,only lipos I have are small 2 cell for my foamies. I have intentionally tried to get one to burst into flames,I threw it on my concrete driveway as hard as I could,hit it with a hammer,drove a nail through it,and nothing much happened.Then I lit it on fire with lighter fluid,again not much happened. I can see the large 3 cell packs being an issue,but the small 2 cell 500-750 mah don't seem to do much.

Alky6

150cc
rcbobp;16744 wrote: I like to use a lipo bag, but the balance leads from the charger to the balancing board aren't really long enough to get the batteries into the bag that much. Does anyone sell longer leads?

Yes. Check out BuddyRC. I have purchased balance lead extensions from them and use them often.

http://www.buddyrc.com/accessory/balance-cables.html

Edit. Oops. I see Ohio AV8TOR already posted the links. Sorry for the double post...

-Paul

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
garlandk;16534 wrote: Guys,

I know there has been plenty of threads of lipo fires, but this is just a reminder it can happen and it can happen very fast! I put two lipos on charge in my garage and went inside to grab something afterI notice everything was ok. When inside which was only for a few minutes I heard something pop. I quickly ran to my garage and saw a big flame shooting up to the ceiling....Luckily there was areas I could grab batteries and the charger without severely burning myself and I threw the stuff outside onto the pavement. Luckily it quickly went out.

This is just a reminder that it can happen and it can happen very fast! Luckily no damage was done to the property beside a burn mark on the table.

Few things that really help the situation:

A. There was nothing around the charger and batteries that could help the fire out.

B. The table it was on was thick wood so it would have taken a while to actually catch the wood on fire.

C. Was charging next to the garage door so it was very easy to just throw things outside onto the concrete.

D. If needed there was a hose right outside the garage to help put the fire out.

E. Didnt panic too much just quickly took care of the situation, before it got out of hand.

Things that I learn...

A. Just plain out NEVER leave batteries unattended at ANY time.... (Been good about doing this, but figure a couple of minutes wouldn't hurt....WRONG!)

B. Have a fire extinguisher in the same area as charging.

C. Charge batteries in even a safer place than what I had.

A guy from our field nearly lost his house due to this exact problem. Charging in the laundry room...(of all places) Lost the washer and dryer, cabinets, clothes, paint and a lot more. Hate Lipo's for this reason. I will stay with my Relions...