• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Is expo really needed.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Too much expo is a common mistake. It gives a very dead feeling around center and then a sudden influx of throw when you hit the "knee" in the curve. I use just enough to take the "twitch" out around center.

Perfect.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
The rotational output of a servo arm does not produce a linear movement to the control surface relative to the transmitter stick position. As the servo arm moves farther from center position, it's moving more sideways and produces less movement in the direction of the control surface. And to make matters worse, the situation is compounded by the rotational arm attached to the control surface. So without expo, you're actually flying a mechanical setup that gives you just the opposite of expo( the sticks are more sensitive around neutral than at the end points).
Very good points Kevin!

It is all about eye hand coordination. IT is how you hold the transmitter. It is: Are you a thumber or are you a pincher?
I used to be a thumber, but now I am a pincher, took 1 week to convert me, and now, it is second nature. The fine control from pinching is so far superior to controlling the stick with your thumb.

OK, I got a story for you all. I went to Magnolia, Arkansas this past weekend, and we held an IMAC boot camp. Robert Brinker, Lyndel Rowe, and myself conducted it. We had over 10 pilots that attended. We gave a series of talks on competing, setting up the airplane, the Basic sequence, IMAC rule book, etc... Then, we had all the pilots fly, and we did a mock competition, whereby the three of us judged the pilots, and we scored them with the score sheets. Ok, to make a long story short, after we did two rounds, I decided to go ahead and fly, and doing two point rolls, in the beginning of the Sportsman sequence, an observation was made by a Unlimited pilot. Great advice. Here it is:

He told me i had too much expo on the elevator, however, he told me to only decrease the expo on the down elevator, that way, when the airplane is inverted, slight push prevents airplane from bobbling, during 2 point rolls, whereas, if the expo is higher, there is delay in reaction of surface, and the nose pitches down slightly, momentarily, probably not deviating flight path, but, does not look crisp. Now, it is crisp. I tested it today, and huge difference. SO the topic of your thread, is spot on, expo is really needed for each pilots preference. IF you learn to fly without it, and you set up is bullet proof, as described, then you should be fine!! If you like EXPO, then go for it as well!

BalsaDust

Yup I'm a pincher as well (actually kinda of a mix between the two as my thumb is still on top of the stick with pointer finger at the front of it). It was pretty much the way I was taught but I have found that when I tried flying with my thumbs that if I was trying to say use right rudder I would be adding throttle at the same time even though I didn't intend to.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Glad to know I'm not the only one that actually uses the Bidirectional Expo capability! Although I'm opposite of that as I have more expo on the down elevator which helps me from using too much down when doing rolling circles (my favorite maneuver).

Yup I'm a pincher as well (actually kinda of a mix between the two as my thumb is still on top of the stick with pointer finger at the front of it). It was pretty much the way I was taught but I have found that when I tried flying with my thumbs that if I was trying to say use right rudder I would be adding throttle at the same time even though I didn't intend to.

I'm weird, as I'm kinda both... I'm a thumb flyer on the left stick, and a pincher on the right!