• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

inverted practice

robj

70cc twin V2
All great info above, use a sim and get yourself a foamy to practice on first. You are just a half roll away from back to normal flight, keep that in your mind for a bailout.

Like Ray says, get a foamy and practice. I started with doing an inverted elevator out a bit, letting the plane sink lower, then bring it in low inverted harrier to me and pop it into a hover(hold some left rudder on the pop...P factor). Coming at you left is left, right is right. Then start working the plane in a circle way from you. I like practice in harrier because you are always holding some down elevator. So your thumb is already trying to keep the nose up and does not want to pull the sticks down. Make wide turns first. This'll help avoid a snap while putting in rudder and elevator. It's ok to get on the wing a bit if you need to, just ease back into a harrier

But instead of thinking that you're a half roll to safety, I like to practice an inverted bailout. If you are close to stall, try to roll it over, holding to much ele/rudder, the plane could get all wanky(that over correct/under correct time just before a crash!). Think an inverted bailout. release rudder, add power. I find a hover bailout is pretty easy to. Just add throttle.

Good Luck!

wedoitall

thanks fellers. only thing ive been practicing flying and on the sim is iflying nverted and point and slow rolls. inverted has gotten alot better and it is heaps easier than rolls.

my rolls are getting better not by much tho.

just got finished doing blenders and see that it looks better exiting inverted harrier. is there any good exercises i can practice to fly inverted better. should i just spend a day or so practicing inverted harriers or is there something else i can do to get better at inverted manuveurs?

thanks in advance for the help.

most help for me was when watching bonedoc's inverted harrier video, i noticed tip, think about cross-movement of rudder and aelerons... start harrier turn with aelerons and after split second add opposite rudder.. and inverted for some strange reason requires much less elevator... after thinking about it, and spending whole day with my 51", they started clicking...

wedoitall

ha! the original and following posts seem sooo long ago, well i guess i can say they were last year :D i think ive made some decent progress in the past 4-4.5 months. flew 27 batteries today, i'd say a good 20 of those were nothing but rolling harriers.

gyro

GSN Contributor
ha! the original and following posts seem sooo long ago, well i guess i can say they were last year :D i think ive made some decent progress in the past 4-4.5 months. flew 27 batteries today, i'd say a good 20 of those were nothing but rolling harriers.

27 batts?!? Must be nice :p

wedoitall

27 batts?!? Must be nice :p

IT WAS!!!! ive been waiting/dreaming for a day like today for quite awhile now. was at the field for almost 8 hrs. went thro 3 different flying buddys at seperate times today. taught my only buddy thats slightly into 3d how to hover today.....he was pretty excited. he got some video of me, gonna have to get it from him tomorrow.

one thing about it, im ready for a nap now. 27 lipos and 8 hours, kinda wore me out LOL.

IT WAS!!!! ive been waiting/dreaming for a day like today for quite awhile now. was at the field for almost 8 hrs. went thro 3 different flying buddys at seperate times today. taught my only buddy thats slightly into 3d how to hover today.....he was pretty excited. he got some video of me, gonna have to get it from him tomorrow.

one thing about it, im ready for a nap now. 27 lipos and 8 hours, kinda wore me out LOL.

I have been flying a skywing mxs 48-in foamy that is nice to practice on. After I ripped the motor off the mount, I put it back on and it had too much down thrust. When upside down, if I juiced the throttle it would move up and give me a little safety factor on low inverted harriers. I ended-up correcting the thrust, but you may want to try that just for practice. Also, put the CG so you always have to push the stick for level inverted. This will help prevent a dumb thumb in. If your plane needs up elevator to fly straight inverted, you may pull up in a panic hard .... I did a 3dhs 47 shp in this way, was distracted by talking while flying.