• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

inverted practice

wedoitall

just got finished doing blenders and see that it looks better exiting inverted harrier. is there any good exercises i can practice to fly inverted better. should i just spend a day or so practicing inverted harriers or is there something else i can do to get better at inverted manuveurs?

thanks in advance for the help.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
practice practice practice. Not comfortable in real life with your plane and altitude, practice on the sim.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
IMHO you need to get totally comfortable with 'normal' inverted flying before thinking about inverted harriers. Just spend as much time as possible doing inverted circuits and figure eights, simple aerobatics like loops and rolls starting and finishing inverted.. etc. Then try to coordinate turns with rudder when inverted (hard because rudder is opposite). Once you are totally comfortable then think about inverted harrier.

djmoose

70cc twin V2
I agree with Steve_B. Spend a lot of time flying inverted. Until the opposite rudder is second-nature...then start with harriers.

wedoitall

thanks guys! i have been dedicating a portion of sim and Real flying to just flying inverted just like you guys mentioned. the coordinated turns are my bottleneck at the moment.

djmoose

70cc twin V2
I don't know if this is a good idea, but it has worked for me. I think of pushing the either the tail or the nose (whichever is closest to me) with the rudder stick.

wedoitall

yea never thought of it that way, i think thatll help alot. the hardest part atm for me is the coordinated part of turns with rudder, aileron, and elevator. so used to moving the sticks in the same direction with up elevator but your way i think will help alot, think of pushing closest end. i did something similar when learning KE flight

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
All great info above, use a sim and get yourself a foamy to practice on first. You are just a half roll away from back to normal flight, keep that in your mind for a bailout.

djmoose

70cc twin V2
yea never thought of it that way, i think thatll help alot. the hardest part atm for me is the coordinated part of turns with rudder, aileron, and elevator. so used to moving the sticks in the same direction with up elevator but your way i think will help alot, think of pushing closest end. i did something similar when learning KE flight

For KE flight, I used this: Belly facing you, rudder stick always goes to the nose. Canopy facing you, rudder stick always goes to the tail. Never think of just the combined motions of the sticks because when you start doing inverted-to-KE....they're different. I thought it would be best to learn where the rudder goes in any orientation. (also because you shouldn't have to ever think about your ailerons...they never change)

wedoitall

I don't know if this is a good idea, but it has worked for me. I think of pushing the either the tail or the nose (whichever is closest to me) with the rudder stick.

this has seemed to help me also. dont really have a problem with steering. its just getting used to up is up and down is down on the elevator but the last couple of days that has gotten alot better. (after a couple nose take'n dirt naps)