• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Inside Flying!

Zeeb

30cc
Well I guess I can chime in even though I cannot fly anymore?

I started chasing a Private license in 1966 and got to solo but then quit. In 1978 I got a part time job at the local FBO sweeping hangars, mowing the lawn and such as a part time job. I was a full time FireFighter/Paramedic at the time and worked the airport part time. By 1982, I decided I needed to finish stuff so I started flying 3 times a week. Then the guy I was working for started pulling my name off the schedule if the shop was busy since I had my A&P Licenses by then, so I quit the part time job, borrowed the money to finish the ratings they could give me, Commercial, High Performance, Instrument, tailwheel and moved on. I got a job flying for a local heli outfit who'd just started flying Medical heli's in addition to the usual seismic stuff and they were really growing.

I hauled parts, pilots and other things around to the various seismic sites and crawled into any of the fixed wing turbines anytime anyone would let me go.... lol

Finally got my multi rating and started flying the piston twins on various missions. Last, when the company really got into the aeromedical end of things, I got to do a lot of flying the company execs around the country to bid hospital contracts. That got sticky and the Fire Chief told me I had to decide where I wanted to work as I was gone so much from the Fire Station. I elected to keep the job with a retirement and health care.

I did a bit more flying at local FBO's on post maintenance test flights but it wasn't really much fun compared to what I'd been doing but it was still flying. Then a few years ago I had a TIA or "mini stroke". It didn't do any damage but in testing they found an aneurysm in my brain and a hole in my heart. Those both got fixed and I could get a third class medical if it was only my heart, but they are loath to give someone who's had a hole cut in their head, a medical.

It's still nice to look at the licenses occasionally and reminisce, it was a lot of fun when I was flying as the companies weren't nearly as tight on what the flight departments spent, but it's over. I'm still interested in full scale but really haven't kept up, so if you guys don't mind I might chime in with a question or two from time to time?

For SleepyC; my experience with the FAA and proposed rule making is that they've already made up their minds by the time it's release for public comment. I've even seen Boeing try to get something changed and failed. I'd be looking around for a way to get that license. A good place to start is hanging around the local FBO (Fixed Base Operator) make some friends, explain your issue and see what happens.

My Father bought our Beech Musketeer in 1976. We still have it, although at the age of 82 my dad doesn't fly it much unless I'm with him. It was because of him I became an A&P mechanic in 1992 as a profession, and a pilot in 1994 for fun.

While working on helicopters, I developed an interest in flying them. That wasn't helped by all the maintenance test flights. I logged time here and there, and ultimately received my rotorwing rating in 2006. I was hired at my current job as the helicopter mechanic, and to back up the primary pilot on occasion. 3 DAYS later, he was involve in a motorcycle accident! I was instructed to fly as much as possible! How could I argue? Fast forward 6 years or so, and now I fly more than I wrench.

I still fly the Musketeer for fun, here's a picture of it.

9162=3235-IMG_0173.jpg
9162=3235-IMG_0173.jpg

I know where there is a Cessna 170 for rent, Rob. :pride:

I'm working on finishing my private now. I started flying at age 10, soloed at 16, and then stupidly gave it up. Dad sold the 170, flying became exponentially more expensive and I found myself wanting to fly more and more each day. Shortly after moving back to North Carolina, I began flying again, first logging several hours in our Cessna 170 (now owned by my family...for now), then re-soloing in a Cessna 172XP last week. I basically lack little things, and can probably take my checkride in another 10 hours or so...most of which is just getting back in the air again.

Airplanes are expensive. The Hawk I fly has all ARC (Cessna) radios, and steam gauges, and could use a lot of love. Mechanically it's in great shape, but cosmetically, it's a sad sight. I don't know how places are renting G1000 Cessna 172s out for what they are...the Hawk I fly rents for $150/hr. I'm lucky in that I grew up, literally, at the airport I fly at, so I've got access to a bunch of airplanes for more or less the cost of fuel. Within the next year, my goal is to buy my family's 170 and have fun. I love models, but fullscale is in my blood.

Thought I'd share this short clip. Michele and I acquired a new baby a couple months ago. He was sick and hiding in one of our shops at work. Being the softy I am, I carried him home. A trip to the vet to get him well, he's pure spunk. He's been an awesome addition to our other three girls. Usually once Michele goes to bed, I hit the computer room to surf the web and catch up on all the daily posts. Sometimes I watch YouTube videos to give me motivation to keep saving up for that Christen Eagle I want so bad. Lately Murray has taken an interest to the videos. He will post up in front of the monitor and just watch. He did this the other night and his positioning and interaction couldn't have been any more perfect. After laughing at him for a minute, I thought I'd better grab my phone and get some video. Ladies and gents, I introduce you to Murray the Acro Cat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3N-MN_7i0I&feature=youtube_gdata_player