• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Inside Flying!

Now we're talking! So who flies? What do you fly? Own your own?

Me, I'm just a simple low time private pilot that pays WAY too much for local rental C-172s. The plan is to get a tailwheel endorsment as soon as I can find someone with a taildragger and a CFI cert to do it, then hoping(or wishful thinking) to luck up and find a Christen Eagle II. There are entirely too many friends around here going out after work and on the weekends having all the fun. I have got to get in on that asap! So what's your story?

8682=3150-Rob Maxwell.jpg
8682=3150-Rob Maxwell.jpg

SleepyC

150cc
So be honest.. how much is it to get a private ticket. A simple one.

With the way the FAA is pushing, for me to keep my AV business I may need to get a private pilots license.

Also how long does it take?

Today's rates, roughly $40-$50/hr for an instructor, and $125-$175/ hr for a rental 172. It can be cheaper if you find the right person and aircraft, but plan on the end dollar being around $10K. The sound of that stings, but paying as you go makes it doable. The timeframe depends on how often you can afford to fly. Once a week, probably going to be a year and a half. Twice a week, under a year. Three or four times a week, a couple months. Its a minimum of 40hrs, but usually takes 50-70hrs to get there. It's all in what it's worth to you and how bad you want it.

SlowHuck

Bling, bling for flying things.
I was fortunate enough to get my private ticket at a small county FBO who had a J-3 on the rental line. It was used routinely (thus reliable) and cost only $35hr wet. Although the check ride and certain training missions required the use of a Spam can (Cessna), It was the Cub that I had the most time in and taught me the most about flying. This was before 9/11 and resulting price increases in general aviation, so I managed to get the job done for under $5k. I think I had a bit over 70 hours when I finished. Many of those hours were off curriculum, spent emulating the great Charlie Kulp - falling leafs, deep stalls, spins, wicked side slips and one wheeled landings in the Cub.

Haven't danced with the clouds in years. I miss it a lot.

SleepyC

150cc
UGGGGG I'll be out of business in a yea if I can't fly.

I can't believe the FAA can't come up with something better. They are going to crush an entire industry.

SlowHuck

SleepyC;8757 wrote: UGGGGG I'll be out of business in a yea if I can't fly.

I can't believe the FAA can't come up with something better. They are going to crush an entire industry.

Don't despair. Between the AMA, manufacturers of AP equipment, and a large community of pro-level operators who have invested heavily in the discipline, the FAA will be pressured to accommodate responsible AP operations. Mandating commercial tickets is certainly not a reasonable solution. Waivers or new classes of licensing are (hopefully) in the near future.

I started in 1993 in a 1985 C-152. It was $50/hr wet and instructors were 10% of the rental. This was in a USAF aero club. I had to quit just after my fourth lesson for eye surgery. I was told I'd never be able to fly. Found out that I could in 1998, so I started back. Same club, same plane, $62/hr wet, instructor fee was 15% of the aircraft rental. Acquired 36 hours and just before my first solo cross country, I made a young man mistake. I bought a new to me used truck and got hosed on interest. I couldn't afford the note, rent, and flight instruction. When I finally decided to quit saying "One day I'll finish" and got back after it. That was March of 2012. I had to do a little refreshing that ate up a lot of hours, and finished up with around 70 hours. It cost me dearly by not finishing back when and from all the refresher flights at today's rates in a 172. On paper, the cost is rediculous. In the cockpit, the feeling of living the dream is priceless. Worth every hard earned penny.

SlowHuck

Bossier Rob;8866 wrote: I finally decided to quit saying "One day I'll finish" and got back after it. That was March of 2012. I had to do a little refreshing that ate up a lot of hours, and finished up with around 70 hours. It cost me dearly by not finishing back when and from all the refresher flights at today's rates in a 172. On paper, the cost is rediculous.
I'm afraid to even ask, but what was the cost of a 172 wet at that time?

In the cockpit, the feeling of living the dream is priceless. Worth every hard earned penny.
No truer words ever spoken.

In 2012, the FBO owned three 172s. The oldest was a 2002 172R, and it was $125/hr. The 2005 172SP was $145, and the 2007 172SP with a G1000 glass cockpit was $165/hr. They sold them all. A local outfit bought the 2002, a 1975 model, and a 2005 SP with air conditioning. The prices all went up. They've gone up more since. The 1975 172 is $145/hr, the 2002 R is $165, and the 2005 SP is $175. That's wet before 9.5% tax. Its rediculous and the sole reason I'm still low time. It costs you anywhere from $230-$280 for a joyride around the local area.

SlowHuck

Bossier Rob;8980 wrote: It costs you anywhere from $230-$280 for a joyride around the local area.
Ouch! My $40 afternoon hops in the Cub are but a distant memory. Gonna have to win the lotto to spring for any pleasure flying. Sigh.