• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Question? iCharger 306b vs. 3010b question

What is the benefit of the iCharger 3010b over the 306b? They both have the same output and the only thing I can see is that the 3010b is for upto 10 cell lipos (do 8, 10, or 12 cell lipos exist?). For parallel charging (2)- 6s-5000mAh lipos at a 2c or 3c charge rate would the 30A output be enough or would I be better off with a 40A Cellpro? I'm still learning all this e-power stuff so be easy on me. :)

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
What is the benefit of the iCharger 3010b over the 306b? They both have the same output and the only thing I can see is that the 3010b is for upto 10 cell lipos (do 8, 10, or 12 cell lipos exist?). For parallel charging (2)- 6s-5000mAh lipos at a 2c or 3c charge rate would the 30A output be enough or would I be better off with a 40A Cellpro? I'm still learning all this e-power stuff so be easy on me. :)

you are exactly right, the 3010 can do 10s, while the 306 can only do up to 6s. The 3010 came out first, so you will see a lot of people have it (like me) who bought it before the 306b came out. Right now, with parallel charging, the only reason to get the 3010b is if you have 10s packs (most people use 2x 5s anyways). For what you want, get the 306B.

SnowDog

Yep, you are correct. I've got the 306b and it works great. I do not have a need to charge 10S packs, so 6S is fine as a max for me.
I parallel charge 4s and 6s packs on my 306b and it does the job splendidly.

wedoitall

i think thats the same for me. if i would go to 8 or 10 could just run a dual 4 or 5s. only problem im having to figure is how to field charge with this charger. if i spent the money on the charger and psu i dont wanna still have to buy more lipos. ive read and read and read articles, forums, data etc, but still cant make up my mind on which route to go with that.

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
i think thats the same for me. if i would go to 8 or 10 could just run a dual 4 or 5s. only problem im having to figure is how to field charge with this charger. if i spent the money on the charger and psu i dont wanna still have to buy more lipos. ive read and read and read articles, forums, data etc, but still cant make up my mind on which route to go with that.

i just bit the bullet and got a small generator, and am having a guy at my LHS who is an electrical genius make me up a portable suitcase charging setup. One time investment (hopefully) and i will be good for the forseable future

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
I want for the 3010b as i had in mind that I could series charge two 4s packs which means you can charge the packs faster as you dont get amp limited. Turns out series charging is just too risky to bother with, it's just too easy to get the balance plugs whrongly configured and burn up the balance leads and the traces on the charging board (ask me how i know:rolleyes:).. So as it turns out I've never really used any capability of the 3010b that the 306b couldnt have done equally well... but one of these days i might get an 8s pack:)

If you are parallel charging multiple packs then you cant have too many amps... so the 40A Cellpro might be worth considering if on a similar price point.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
....4010duo all the way :D

Yep, if you have $350 to spend on a charger then that's the one! Of course like all these very powerful chargers you have to feed it 24v to get rated performance, which might be a limitation if using in the field.