• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

I Need To Vent

djmoose

70cc twin V2
About Castle...I believe almost all of their products are assembled in the US...but they get some components from outside of the country. I remember hearing that in an interview. I should have ask Steve Rogers as we had him on ATTF this week...I think I'll shoot him an email...

quadracer

100cc
Gyro,

The point i was picking up was that Frank said the benefit to the local economy was 5 times what you spend:

That just doesn't stack up when you consider that 80cents of that doller doesn't even 'see' the local economy but goes straight to China. But yes I'm not disputing that a small proportion finds it's way into the local economy.

Steve
It isn't so much about the initial $2 that gets dumped into the local economy. It's the 7% sales tax (in Indiana, YMMV) that is accumulated every time that $2 changes hands, the income taxes paid on those $2 every year. A LOT of money gets stacked on top of that $2 by the time it quits circulating. If lots of people adopt that idea, it adds up BIG TIME.

gyro

GSN Contributor
It isn't so much about the initial $2 that gets dumped into the local economy. It's the 7% sales tax (in Indiana, YMMV) that is accumulated every time that $2 changes hands, the income taxes paid on those $2 every year. A LOT of money gets stacked on top of that $2 by the time it quits circulating. If lots of people adopt that idea, it adds up BIG TIME.

Yes, that is part of the point I was trying to make about the $2.... it's honestly inconsequential how much money it is. The fact that we're adding money into the local economy is all that matters.

-G

G.P.

70cc twin V2
About Castle...I believe almost all of their products are assembled in the US...but they get some components from outside of the country. I remember hearing that in an interview. I should have ask Steve Rogers as we had him on ATTF this week...I think I'll shoot him an email...

That used to be the case, but they moved the majority of their manufacturing to Mexico last I heard. They claimed they couldn't compete with other companies prices anymore. That was right before all of the fires and recalls started...so I wonder if they still think it was worth it.

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Frank,

My 'source' is the product packaguing from castle products. the packaging says:

in bold letters:
Designed in Kansas

followed by in less prominent print:
"Components Manufactured in USA, Mexico and China"

I'm pretty sure i also read somewhere that in reality pretty much all the manufacturing was actually done in China, but I cant 100% verify that.

OK, that makes sense. That is what I was told as well. They get their stuff that can't be procured here in the US from other places and then assemble and test their products in KS. I spoke with (wish I could remember his name) at CC in depth about this a few years ago but I have changed PCs since then and lost some emails. I wish I still had them.

Frank

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2

Cool! Thanks Jeff. Please let us know what you find out.

Frank

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Maybe so but don't get pulled into the trap of considering those taxes etc somehow 'additional' to the $2.. they are all taken from it. The $2 is still only $2 but it gets split up and passed around, not multiplied. As I've said several times it was the idea that your money is somehow multiplied that I was debating.
And the main point is to recall that for that 2$ into your economy $8 has gone to China.. That's another $8 added to the balance of trade deficit right there, no different to if you had spend the $8 direct with the Chinese manufacturer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Yes, that is part of the point I was trying to make about the $2.... it's honestly inconsequential how much money it is. The fact that we're adding money into the local economy is all that matters.

-G

Again.. it's not 'additional' money in the local economy.. it was there all along, you had it! All that's happened is that you gave it to someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to laugh when we walked across the bridge from Mexico to Brownsville carrying bags of junk, and met Mexicans going home with bags of good stuff. If you want to buy American, buy Craft Beer.