Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Howdy from Wisconsin!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GreyModeller, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 150cc

Canada
    Welcome to GSN

2. mikeh

mikeh 70cc twin V2

Go Packers! Welcome!

3. GreyModeller

GreyModeller New to GSN!

Thank you acerc! I am looking forward to posting a buid thread, however I have this job that is quite selfish about sharing any time with my hobby! I rise at 3am, 6 days a week, usually. I have today off, but that is very rare! Anyway, I install electrical systems on big trucks-snowplows. And the company I work for receives contracts from most every other state to buildup their fleets. We currently have a new contract for 200+ snowplows for the state of Illinois, and we are working overtime like crazy! So this is the first chance I"ve had to visit with you all!:attaboy:

4. GreyModeller

GreyModeller New to GSN!

...and I was also wondering if a project HAS to be giant scale to do a build thread. I have an older Pica Focke-Wulf FW-190D with a 65" wingspan (1/6th-ish) I am wanting to start, and it will take a while to do, but I just don't have the funds or the space to build a 1/4 scale as of yet Do you have a forum catagory for such projects?

5. HRRC Flyer

HRRC Flyer GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Hey @GreyModeller,

A 65" Butcher Bird is big enough for me. I say, go for it. . . . :yesss:

6. Larry B

Larry B 70cc twin V2

I would start your build thread in the "Scratch & Kit scale" section, it definitely does not have to be giant scale to be posted on this forum!
    If you have an older Pica Focke-Wulf FW-190D then by all means, start gluing those sticks together, that is a great flying model.

7. GreyModeller

GreyModeller New to GSN!

Will do Larry B, But I am still shopping around for the right engine and retracts! I have been working a lot of overtime ( equals hobby money). I am really undecided on the engine, all I know is I like the sound of a 4-stroke, but I want the cowl and outline to remain intact as much as possible. Also can't decide between air or electric retracts! I should maybe mention that in addition to the Pica, I also have Dave Platt's version of the same FW D9, as well as the Top Flite D9- all unbuilt! I um... also have a Top Flite .60 size P-47 still in the box too. I have serious troubles!

8. Larry B

Larry B 70cc twin V2

As for an engine I would just go with a good old OS .65 glow, it's a simple reliable engine. And I would stay away from electric retracts, I have a 1/4 scale Bf-109E-4 that I tried Down & Locked electric gear in. After 3 times of having the gear worked on by D&L and 2 nice gear up landings I have since gone back to pneumatic gear and had no trouble. You can see the R/H gear stuck after the motor burned out just hanging out of the wheel well, I just left the other gear up, killed the engine on final and made a beautiful smooth landing.

Thats just my 2 cents worth:)

And no you don't have serious troubles, you are just planning your future projects! One can never have to many kits in the closet.

N6.jpg O5.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    js-rc likes this.