• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Howdy from Wisconsin!

GreyModeller

New to GSN!
Thank you acerc! I am looking forward to posting a buid thread, however I have this job that is quite selfish about sharing any time with my hobby! I rise at 3am, 6 days a week, usually. I have today off, but that is very rare! Anyway, I install electrical systems on big trucks-snowplows. And the company I work for receives contracts from most every other state to buildup their fleets. We currently have a new contract for 200+ snowplows for the state of Illinois, and we are working overtime like crazy! So this is the first chance I"ve had to visit with you all!:attaboy:

GreyModeller

New to GSN!
...and I was also wondering if a project HAS to be giant scale to do a build thread. I have an older Pica Focke-Wulf FW-190D with a 65" wingspan (1/6th-ish) I am wanting to start, and it will take a while to do, but I just don't have the funds or the space to build a 1/4 scale as of yet Do you have a forum catagory for such projects?

Larry B

70cc twin V2
I would start your build thread in the "Scratch & Kit scale" section, it definitely does not have to be giant scale to be posted on this forum!
If you have an older Pica Focke-Wulf FW-190D then by all means, start gluing those sticks together, that is a great flying model.

GreyModeller

New to GSN!
Will do Larry B, But I am still shopping around for the right engine and retracts! I have been working a lot of overtime ( equals hobby money). I am really undecided on the engine, all I know is I like the sound of a 4-stroke, but I want the cowl and outline to remain intact as much as possible. Also can't decide between air or electric retracts! I should maybe mention that in addition to the Pica, I also have Dave Platt's version of the same FW D9, as well as the Top Flite D9- all unbuilt! I um... also have a Top Flite .60 size P-47 still in the box too. I have serious troubles!

Larry B

70cc twin V2
As for an engine I would just go with a good old OS .65 glow, it's a simple reliable engine. And I would stay away from electric retracts, I have a 1/4 scale Bf-109E-4 that I tried Down & Locked electric gear in. After 3 times of having the gear worked on by D&L and 2 nice gear up landings I have since gone back to pneumatic gear and had no trouble. You can see the R/H gear stuck after the motor burned out just hanging out of the wheel well, I just left the other gear up, killed the engine on final and made a beautiful smooth landing.

Thats just my 2 cents worth:)

And no you don't have serious troubles, you are just planning your future projects! One can never have to many kits in the closet.

N6.jpg
O5.jpg

Last edited: