• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

How long to let an engine warm up?

All my engines, I burp the throttle on the ground and NEVER in the air.

I never actually timed how long I warm up on the ground, but probably by the time I taxi out into take off position, it is closing in on 3 minutes. Depending on my flight line location and wind direction.

I see a lot of guys at the field start an engine and rev up and hit full throttle right away. Nothing could be more cruel to an engine. A cold engine cylinder is smaller when it is cold and expands as it warms up. Full throttle on a cold engine causes wear on the rings and cylinder walls. When I start my engines I let it run at idle till warm. This same science applies to any engine. This method will extend the life of any engine. Your car, boat,motorcycle, farm tractor etc.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I see a lot of guys at the field start an engine and rev up and hit full throttle right away. Nothing could be more cruel to an engine. A cold engine cylinder is smaller when it is cold and expands as it warms up. Full throttle on a cold engine causes wear on the rings and cylinder walls. When I start my engines I let it run at idle till warm. This same science applies to any engine. This method will extend the life of any engine. Your car, boat,motorcycle, farm tractor etc.
Very well said!:yesss:

Seen it in the dirt bike world to. Heck even some street bike guys thinks it awesome fire up their engine and pin the throttle before the starter fully disengages. I always called it cold wide open.