• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help With Motor Timing and Poor Throttle Response (Gecko 120HV)

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hmmm...that's very interesting and a bit of info no one has relayed to me until now. I will forward this to ZTW and see what they have to say.

Yes, we sent them a 4315-300. The issue presented itself when run on 6s with a 125A but not on 8s with a 120A OPTO.

Garret

Garret, I too experienced the same troubles with a new 85A Gecko on 6s, used with the 4315. I ended up returning the ESC.
This sucks as it was a bulletproof combo 6-9 months ago.

AltitudeHobbies

GSN SPONSOR
Garret, I too experienced the same troubles with a new 85A Gecko on 6s, used with the 4315. I ended up returning the ESC.
This sucks as it was a bulletproof combo 6-9 months ago.

Bummer, I wish you still had it as it would make a good comparison. ZTW claims they fixed the problem, so we're just waiting on the word from some folks we sent the firmware to for testing...then hopefully they can move onto the HV opto firmware.

Garret

gyro

GSN Contributor
Bummer, I wish you still had it as it would make a good comparison. ZTW claims they fixed the problem, so we're just waiting on the word from some folks we sent the firmware to for testing...then hopefully they can move onto the HV opto firmware.

Garret

I'm kinda time crunched, couldn't wait for a fix :(
Sorry buddy

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
I have the 4315 motor with 85A Gecko on 6S on my 57 Extra, it has great response. I am building my EF 60 Yak right now with the same combo, I sure hope nothing has changed...

On another note I decided to spend the money and replace my 150A HV Gecko with a Jeti Mezon 160, had to spend another $250 to get my plane flying the right way :banghead:

If a firmware ever materializes that fixes the problem I'll use the Gecko in a future plane or switch just use a Hacker motor instead.

I tried out the non HV firmware update on one of my wonky 85a Geckos with a 6S 4315-500 and it seems to have cured the knocks. Really makes me wonder what they "didn't" change that required a firmware update though :p. I had to fumble around the software a bit to do it, apparently you don't do it under the firmware tab, go figure...its under the general button and then clicking the small update settings button at the bottom of the screen prompts you for the .XUP files location.

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
I tried out the non HV firmware update on one of my wonky 85a Geckos with a 6S 4315-500 and it seems to have cured the knocks. Really makes me wonder what they "didn't" change that required a firmware update though :p. I had to fumble around the software a bit to do it, apparently you don't do it under the firmware tab, go figure...its under the general button and then clicking the small update settings button at the bottom of the screen prompts you for the .XUP files location.

Okay, I was wondering what was the problem with that combo, now I remember mine does that too, often when I hit throttle hold it will knock once or twice, power wise I have no issues.

I wasn't complaining about the dead stop to starting occasional knock or cog, an "idle up" switch cured that so I wouldn't be starting from a dead stop in flight. The issue I was having was fast throttle up from an already spinning motor would just cause mean knocking and the motor to stop spinning. I'm not surprised yours worked without issues as I've said I have earlier geckos which work without issue. It was just the last two I purchased that would throw a fit if you advance the throttle fast, the keyword there is fast, a "normal" throttle up would perform like it should. It wasn't an occasional thing, it would do it without fail every time.

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
I wasn't complaining about the dead stop to starting occasional knock or cog, an "idle up" switch cured that so I wouldn't be starting from a dead stop in flight. The issue I was having was fast throttle up from an already spinning motor would just cause mean knocking and the motor to stop spinning. I'm not surprised yours worked without issues as I've said I have earlier geckos which work without issue. It was just the last two I purchased that would throw a fit if you advance the throttle fast, the keyword there is fast, a "normal" throttle up would perform like it should. It wasn't an occasional thing, it would do it without fail every time.

I see... Well I have a brand new Gecko 85A and MF 4315-500, planes almost done hopefully things will work. I already had to remove the 150HV from my 71 and replace with a Jeti. Would be ridiculous to have TWO Geckos acting as paperweights.

AltitudeHobbies

GSN SPONSOR
Hey, everyone -- update: ZTW has sent us 2x firmware files for the Gecko 120A OPTO HV. One of the files is an earlier version from when the ESCs were first released; the second is a brand new version which they have changed to match the new SBEC firmware they sent earlier in the week. We need someone willing to test both versions and let us know which fixes the problem. Please send an email to altitudehobbies@gmail.com

Thanks,
Garret