• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help With Motor Timing and Poor Throttle Response (Gecko 120HV)

AltitudeHobbies

GSN SPONSOR
Hey, guys -- so, we need your help here! Over a month ago, we sent ZTW a Motrolfly 4315-300 motor with instructions to use it on 8s with a HV Gecko to find a fix for the throttle issue everyone has been experiencing.

Well, they have been extensively testing since receiving it and have not found any problems as you can see in this video:
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODQ5OTA5NzMy.html?qq-pf-to=pcqq.c2c

However, they did make a change to the firmware which they say they feel helped the throttle response. Also, they found the motor started better on 15 degree timing, so they have changed the default timing to 15 degrees and suggest all our customers use this setting. I have the firmware update file I would be happy to send to anyone who is willing to try it and give us a report on whether it is better or not. Post here or send me an email at altitudehobbies@gmail.com

Thanks,

Garret

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Hey, guys -- so, we need your help here! Over a month ago, we sent ZTW a Motrolfly 4315-300 motor with instructions to use it on 8s with a HV Gecko to find a fix for the throttle issue everyone has been experiencing.

Well, they have been extensively testing since receiving it and have not found any problems as you can see in this video:
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODQ5OTA5NzMy.html?qq-pf-to=pcqq.c2c

However, they did make a change to the firmware which they say they feel helped the throttle response. Also, they found the motor started better on 15 degree timing, so they have changed the default timing to 15 degrees and suggest all our customers use this setting. I have the firmware update file I would be happy to send to anyone who is willing to try it and give us a report on whether it is better or not. Post here or send me an email at altitudehobbies@gmail.com

Thanks,

Garret

Good luck buddy! I wish I had a setup I could test out for you... but I don't have any electrics that size.

I am switching to all Jeti/Hacker Mezons for telemetry reasons. Plus I get very little flying in till late March so I would not be a good tester. These are a good value if you get the throttle issue worked out.

I'd definitely like to try this, I have 2 85a Geckos sitting around because I don't consider them usable due to cogging on fast throttle up. They had the same problem with a 4S 3615-700 MF and 6s 4315-500 MF. Both of the Geckos were purchased a few months ago, I have some older ones which work without a problem on both motors.

--edit I'm not so sure this update will help me out as this sounds like a different issue with the HV ones but since they are basically fancy paper weights right now I figure its worth a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

AltitudeHobbies

GSN SPONSOR
I'd definitely like to try this, I have 2 85a Geckos sitting around because I don't consider them usable due to cogging on fast throttle up. They had the same problem with a 4S 3615-700 MF and 6s 4315-500 MF. Both of the Geckos were purchased a few months ago, I have some older ones which work without a problem on both motors.

--edit I'm not so sure this update will help me out as this sounds like a different issue with the HV ones but since they are basically fancy paper weights right now I figure its worth a try.

Yeah, unfortunately we found out the hard way that the firmware is different between the SBEC and HV OPTO versions. But...

**UPDATE**

After not being able to find the issue running a 120A HV OPTO with the Motrolfly 4315 motor we sent ZTW, we asked them to try it with a 125A ESC on 6s, and immediately they discovered the problem. They sent me videos showing exactly what everyone has been experiencing. For some reason, this motor worked fine with the 120A on 8s but on 6s with the 125A it had problems. Now that they can see the problem, they are going to start working on fixing it. Let's hope this time is the charm.

Garret

AKfreak

150cc
I was all excited about ZTW, I jumped in head first, lured by everyone that had been bragging about the extra power. Immediatelly I told everyone that throttle response was terrible. Now many months later still no definitive fix. I for one am not to happy with this. The esc just sits on my bench. For me is been a total waste if money, not it mention time. I even bought the esc digital programming card.. more waste.

I get it as a distributor you aren't fault, in the end the customers are the ones who suffer. I for one cant recommend ZTW to anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
I was all excited about ZTW, I jumped in head first, lured by everyone that had been bragging about the extra power. Immediatelly I told everyone that throttle response was terrible. Now many months later still no definitive fix. I for one am not to happy with this. The esc just sits on my bench. For me is been a total waste if money, not it mention time. I even bought the esc digital programming card.. more waste.

I get it as a distributor you aren't fault, in the end the customers are the ones who suffer. I for one cant recommend ZTW to anyone.

It's definitely frustrating....

Something changed with the Gecko line... The A series and B series / Landpower were rock solid with no issues.

I'm really hoping ZTW can get things fixed, and I'm proud of the efforts the Garret alone has made. Good luck!

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
After actually reading this entire thread and watching the videos tomorrow I'll test my MF 4330 400 with the 150A OPTO on 6S. Always seemed a little sluggish to me but I just always blamed it on the larger prop and 6S power. Its my first over 60 inch plan. I'll do the run up on the ground to check the response.