• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help with first Gas motor

Hey guys need a little help on gas engine stuff-newbie at this. (Although I am fairly fluid with gas engines, weedwhippers, lawnmowers, lots of nitro engine experience)
For the choke lever, do you typically reach in and flip it...have a separate pushrod sticking out of the cowling? Seems like its a ways back to reach in and flip.
And the OS 33 can take unregulated 2s LiPo right?
For the kill switch, I got an electronic one, but should I set up the linkage to kill it with a throttle cut? What is the general linkage set up?
How do you guys typically break them in? I have a break in prop-Xoar 18x8

I am putting a smoke system on too....on the stock Os muffler. I bought a brass nipple, where would be the best place to put the inlet? I will wrap the hi temp tubing around the muffler to heat the oil.....i have that anti siphon thing, and filter...etc. Sullivan sky writer.

Also what is YOUR starting procedure?

Thanks guys...:)

gyro

GSN Contributor
Wow thanks gyro!

No problem! I'm new to gassers also, but I'll try to help:

Hey guys need a little help on gas engine stuff-newbie at this. (Although I am fairly fluid with gas engines, weedwhippers, lawnmowers, lots of nitro engine experience)
For the choke lever, do you typically reach in and flip it...have a separate pushrod sticking out of the cowling? Seems like its a ways back to reach in and flip.

My choke lever has a wire attached, and protrudes to the opening of the cowl. It is very easy.

For the kill switch, I got an electronic one, but should I set up the linkage to kill it with a throttle cut? What is the general linkage set up?

On my airplanes, the kill switch will be via an opto IBEF, which I can use to kill ignition via my transmitter, or automatically when signal is lost.

Also what is YOUR starting procedure?

I pull the choke, flip the prop until it pops/sputters, and then push in the choke, restart, and fly.

Thanks!!!:)
I got everything figured out except where to make the input for smoke oil on the muffler.
Will this muffler even work? The stock OS one? Or do I need a can?
Thanks,
Alex

Joe's Dad

70cc twin V2
Have never wrapped the smoke tubing on any of our planes. Put the nipple as close to the inlet to the muffler, pointing into the muffler.
IE
Position the muffler on the engine.
Put the nipple as close to the exhaust port as possible. but make sure it is squirting into the muffler.
You dont want the smoke oil going into the cylinder.
Lots of different opinions on smoking. We do what works. Just check out any of our videos.

Use good high temp smoke tubing inside the cowling, a check valve. Filter not important at all. Use stainless wire to tie the tubing onto
the nipple.