• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GSN GIVE-A-WAY Hangar 9 35% Extra 300X Assembly

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
There are a couple of other small cracks that I fixed on the inside but didn't bother with the outside.
When you fly wheel pants on grass they're bound to get a little beat.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
A few nights ago I glassed my wheel pants back together. I wasn't planning on doing much more than touching it up with a brush, but today I took it to work and did a really quick spot repair.

I featheredged it, smeared some Dolphin Glaze on it with my finger, sanded that, primed it with a spray can, sanded and spot painted. I just happened to have some red enamel from painting a sign that matched great!

View attachment 97969 View attachment 97970 View attachment 97971 View attachment 97972 View attachment 97973 View attachment 97974 View attachment 97975 View attachment 97976
Must say looks like new again cannot believe how lucky you are that is a perfect match.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
I was pretty shocked at that myself, since it was the first can I grabbed off the shelf. I guess even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then.;)
Have you flown the plane since you put the plate over the carb? I am curious if that made any difference in your mid-range surge.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I got three flights on the Extra yesterday. I'm afraid that the plate in front of the carb was not a miracle cure. At this point it's hard to say if, or how much if any it helped until I get the tune closer. Before the plate I had the top end fairly close, but the plate threw the top end tune way off.

Last week by the last flight the top end was close and in a 10 minute flight I used as a rough guess less than 20 ounces of fuel. On my first 10 minute flight yesterday my 32 ounce tank had maybe 4 ounces left, and that's being generous. As you can imagine the performance was less than stellar. I leaned it a little the next two flights and it's getting better. Unfortunately I didn't have my tach with me to set it right so I'll do that next time.

The surge was gone when it was so rich the first flight, but got worse every flight where I leaned it a bit more. So until it's tuned and runs right I won't really know anything.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
From young description it sounds like you not sure which way to go on it. Please I am no expert but try to open the space between the plate and carburetor by another 1/8 of an inch. It's got to do with theory the of width of plate and distance from the carb its long explanation but it is just a suggestion, just trying to help. I have had some degree of success with the plate but the brass tube and tube into the fuselage has been mine best solution up to now.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
I got three flights on the Extra yesterday. I'm afraid that the plate in front of the carb was not a miracle cure. At this point it's hard to say if, or how much if any it helped until I get the tune closer. Before the plate I had the top end fairly close, but the plate threw the top end tune way off.

Last week by the last flight the top end was close and in a 10 minute flight I used as a rough guess less than 20 ounces of fuel. On my first 10 minute flight yesterday my 32 ounce tank had maybe 4 ounces left, and that's being generous. As you can imagine the performance was less than stellar. I leaned it a little the next two flights and it's getting better. Unfortunately I didn't have my tach with me to set it right so I'll do that next time.

The surge was gone when it was so rich the first flight, but got worse every flight where I leaned it a bit more. So until it's tuned and runs right I won't really know anything.
Thanks for giving us this update. My DA 120 surge is almost gone, but not entirely. It was really bad at first, much like you were actually moving the throttle stick. The only thing that has changed mine was leaning it out a tad at the time.

My only concern is now that I don't really want to lean it anymore as it performs well and you have to take into consideration just how much you are leaning it out. It gets to a point that it is hard to tell just how lean it is. I do see some exhaust smoke once in a while so that is good.

Dave at DA told me that they are doing a carb modification on them for that mid-range surge. I wished I new what that was because I would just do it myself instead of sending the thing back there and waiting so long for it. Maybe he will sell the carb with the mod? I would love to try one just to see what it does.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks for giving us this update. My DA 120 surge is almost gone, but not entirely. It was really bad at first, much like you were actually moving the throttle stick. The only thing that has changed mine was leaning it out a tad at the time.

My only concern is now that I don't really want to lean it anymore as it performs well and you have to take into consideration just how much you are leaning it out. It gets to a point that it is hard to tell just how lean it is. I do see some exhaust smoke once in a while so that is good.

Dave at DA told me that they are doing a carb modification on them for that mid-range surge. I wished I new what that was because I would just do it myself instead of sending the thing back there and waiting so long for it. Maybe he will sell the carb with the mod? I would love to try one just to see what it does.

Wel we all know the only thing that we can change on the carburetor is pope off pressure and he needle height. I have played with with this with some success. The only problem is that Walboro puts out a spring box to adjust this pressure and I have not been able to get my hands on one cutting and trying to make a spring is just not feasible at the accuracy we need. Changing the height is easy and that is just trai and error on how much you need. Walboro explains that very clearly. Must note that anytime I have strange things going on it has always been the pope of pressure. I have seen it as heigh as 43 when it should be around 15 to 16.