• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Gp-61

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well, I'm no longer scared to change a piston. It was pretty painless! Thanks much to Kole who called to talk me through/explain the process.

All new parts are installed, and engine is slightly richend to break in the new cylinder and ring; she's ready for my next day at the field.

Wait - that clip is installed wrong. You gotta put the "ears" vertical - if you have them sideways the clip can come out at RPM. I'm guessing that is probably why yours failed, it was horizontal and fatigue cracked. Back in my MX racing days, it was tribal knowledge to never put a circlip in with the prongs horizontal = certain doom. I hope I'm explaining this right... would hate to see it happen again to you.

So I'm test fitting everything... *I am wonderig if the issue with the Muffler is simply the bolts are too long. * Without the gasket there is about a 1mm gap. *And I cannot go further.*

This means things dont get snugged too well. *Makes me wonder if the reason folks have reported success with the nord locks is they are 3mm long or so. *They make up the difference.

I'm going to proceed with the nords... *But fyi.

Keep in mind I'm a gas noob, I could be way off base.

gyro

GSN Contributor
So I'm test fitting everything... *I am wonderig if the issue with the Muffler is simply the bolts are too long. * Without the gasket there is about a 1mm gap. *And I cannot go further.*

This means things dont get snugged too well. *Makes me wonder if the reason folks have reported success with the nord locks is they are 3mm long or so. *They make up the difference.

Interesting find!

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G

Iv'e found over the years it's best not to use the included exhaust gasket, they usually blow out after only a few flights...at least that is my experience.

I use high temp silicone, the stuff I use comes from Sweden, but just about any high temp silicone will work. Like Copper seal, you can find it at most auto part stores.

I put a thin coat on the muffler mating surface, keeping it away from the inside edge of the port some, it will squish out as the muffler is tightened. To keep the bolts from vibrating out, I coat the muffler bolt threads with the same silicone before installing. Let it cure overnight before starting. whala....no blow outs and no bolts vibrating loose:thumbup: