• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Gp-61

3dbandit

100cc
that is what [MENTION=413]Brian Yak Dude[/MENTION] recommended I do when discussing at the field last night.... but I'm not sure how I'd install them myself?

I've heard of epoxying them in, but I'm not really sure how to do it.

I would take it to a QUALIFIED machine or engine shop.

gyro

GSN Contributor
But now that my threads are worn.... Anything I can do to avoid removing the engine?

Yes, you could install Helicoils.

that is what @Brian Yak Dude recommended I do when discussing at the field last night.... but I'm not sure how I'd install them myself?

I've heard of epoxying them in, but I'm not really sure how to do it.

I would take it to a QUALIFIED machine or engine shop.

:facepalm: so I gotta remove the engine. that is what I was hoping to avoid. :cursing:

Yowzilla

50cc
Helicoils done correct require you to tap then twist this spring looking helicoil in. The hardest part is determining sizing.

See if you can get them to torque down first - you might get lucky where they aren't stripped enough to spin.

Helicoils are not tough to put in, compared to building and flying a plane. You can do it! We have confidence in you!!! :D

gyro

GSN Contributor
See if you can get them to torque down first - you might get lucky where they aren't stripped enough to spin.

Helicoils are not tough to put in, compared to building and flying a plane. You can do it! We have confidence in you!!! :D

Thanks for the suggestion. They do spin unfortunately.

I spoke with Kole yesterday, and I'll be sending him just the cylinder jug, he'll be installing the helicoils, as is ordering some anyway.

3dRCparts.com

70cc twin V2
ok, got another Q, standoffs that came with the motor are too short to allow the carb to clear the flirewall? do I open the fire wall big enough for part of the carb to fit through or do I buy longer standoffs?

this is going on a pilot plane so firewall is stlill adjstable at this point

3dbandit

100cc
ok, got another Q, standoffs that came with the motor are too short to allow the carb to clear the flirewall? do I open the fire wall big enough for part of the carb to fit through or do I buy longer standoffs?

this is going on a pilot plane so firewall is stlill adjstable at this point

I would use longer standoffs and push the firewall back since it's not installed yet. I always like to avoid chopping up a motor box if I can.

SnowDog

I would use longer standoffs and push the firewall back since it's not installed yet. I always like to avoid chopping up a motor box if I can.

agreed...if you have the option of moving the firewall, you might as well...consider yourself lucky...on many planes you don't get the choice!