• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GP 61 -Discussion thread

mmlong

30cc
I bought a GP 61 at a flea market for $380 new in box! It's mounted on my test stand and yes I had some trouble with the throttle hook up. So the Falcon 25x8w prop showed up today. I cant believe how easy it started. I rocked the prop and saw the fuel flow towards the carb. So I switched ignition on flipped maybe 4 times and then thought to choke it. 3 more flips and it popped, choke off, it popped again on the 4th and started on 5th flip. After a minute or so I opened her up and it roared. I never touched the needles. After a short run I stopped it. It restarted a number of times on one flip. Now all I need is an airframe. Pleased in Pennsylvania!!!!!!!!!!!!

mmlong

30cc
I was so excited that I forgot to ask the one question that bothers me. The serial number on this unit is 3167. Has anyone kept a record of when the retaining clip for the piston pin has been redesigned? Is there a way to track if this engine has the new clips in there? Thanks in advance.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I need to make a plywood mounting plate for a friend and need to confirm some information on the GP61. Can anyone confirm that the mounting pattern is in fact the same as the DA50 / DLE55? If this is true it should be 3.071" (78mm) wide x 2.598" (66mm) tall.

Also, if anyone has one of these that is not mounted could you take a picture straight on of the back of the engine. Also a picture straight on from the side if the needles need to be accessed through the mount. If you post those here I'll post pics of the mount after it's cut.

Thanks in advance!!!

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Terry the pattern is indeed the same as the DA50/60 I used a blazing star mount for a DA60 on mine and replaced a dA50 with the GP61. I took a bunch of pics of mine while installing it, I'll look to see if any of them are what you need.

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I checked what I have and it doesn't fit the bill. Also, I rotated my carb 180 so that wouldn't do you much good anyway.

Skyluc

50cc
I need to make a plywood mounting plate for a friend and need to confirm some information on the GP61. Can anyone confirm that the mounting pattern is in fact the same as the DA50 / DLE55? If this is true it should be 3.071" (78mm) wide x 2.598" (66mm) tall.

Also, if anyone has one of these that is not mounted could you take a picture straight on of the back of the engine. Also a picture straight on from the side if the needles need to be accessed through the mount. If you post those here I'll post pics of the mount after it's cut.

Thanks in advance!!!
Too bad you asked that one day after I installed mine

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=228419&d=1388437169
Side shot on my 3dhs 92"edge. Needles facing up or down only options. I know you can rotate 180 degrees that's it.

That reminds me, the throttle arm is extremely close to the inside of the housing isn't it. I just talked to @Bemeson and he is going to arrange for his engine to be shipped to me to confirm the fit. With that type of casting I can really see the importance of a flange mount instead of standoffs. I'm sure I can work something out for a nice plywood mount, but I won't use the cheap plywood that most use, I have some really good quality birch plywood and also a little secret idea to keep them from compressing:way_to_go: