• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Getting started in Giant Scale RC---Tools and Supplies

thurmma

150cc
Great :) job on the video. The shop dog is a must have otherwise you find yourself coming out of the shop just in time to get a shower and go to work :)

BalsaDust

Bartman;20069 wrote: Someone actually watched it to the end?? That chicken was your reward! lol

LOL didn't you create the video for us to watch all the way to the end? Seriously though great thread. I will be referencing it for anyone I meet that wants to get into the hobby and wondering what they might need.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I agree, dremels are pretty handy to have Pbilt and I was planning to hit on what can be done with wiring via a soldering iron and crimping tool once some of the other stuff has been covered.

Thanks!

Bart

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
A good friend is the best addition to any shop or build.another set of eyes ,hands , thoughts, experience, ideas and jokes makes all the difference in the world.

A bench top disc / drum sander and couple 8' srtaight edges are pretty cool to have too.

A big enough work space to build a big ass table! My work table is 4'x8'. Made of 3/4" ply, covered with 3/16" tempered glass and retained by some 1" wide x 1/4" thick furring strips. I can work on 2 airplanes side by side. But, by having a huge ass table like that, it catches more of a damn mess than anything!

I like to listen to the radio while I'm working on airplanes. Lots of folks have flat screen TV's and cable or dish for service. My basement is always a dust factory, so none of that I would want in my TV or cable box. But I have a couple of old home stereo systems, so if they go kaput, it isn't a huge deal.

Drill press, scroll saw, band saw, sometimes an inverted router (for those without a laser in their shop), matching set of tools that copy what you carry in your flight box, screwdrivers, wrenches, allen wrenches, good cordless drill with 1/2" chuck and bits to 1/2", loctite, various glues, dremel moto tool, covering iron, heat gun, assorted screws (american and metric). The list goes on.

Basically, if you can think of it, it probably would be beneficial.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Clamps and masking tape. Masking tape is good for lots of things other than holding things together. It can be used as a clamp, used as a guide for sanding selective spots without surround spots, and mane more. Clamps can be found cheap, they don't always have to be the best brand but a variety of spring clamps and small bar clamps are very handy.

BalsaDust

Terryscustom;20203 wrote: Clamps and masking tape. Masking tape is good for lots of things other than holding things together. It can be used as a clamp, used as a guide for sanding selective spots without surround spots, and mane more. Clamps can be found cheep, they don't always have to be the best brand but a variety of spring clamps and small bar clamps are very handy.

I will say that I have been very happy with the elcheapo clamps I have gotton from harbor frieght.