• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Getting Kids involved in RC?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
View attachment 11014 View attachment 11008 View attachment 11009 View attachment 11010 View attachment 11011 View attachment 11012 View attachment 11013 View attachment 11008 Decal Dennis. here are a few kids I have gotten interested The little guy with the profile is my grandson he loves flying the profile The others are from Hay Springs Neb We had a blast a few times with the whole group, two are now flying and soloed RC Pilots
I see your grandson as the next Jase or Gabriel. :yesss:

Ladies & Gents I post this question more so how to get "MY" kid involved/interested in RC, but if you have things you do to get kids involved in RC in your community, please post away.

This is what I have : My son has had a transmitter in his hands since 2 years old, hanging with the boys at the field, crashing on the sim, helping dad assemble planes, the works. I've never forced him, this is just what he did, daddy's little man. Then came age 5, started school, and he became mom's little man? Hey wait a minute, I just had him where he could almost do a pattern alone on the sim, without going watch this daddy, while he piled it in the ground, and laugh, hit reset, and crash again. He is 8 now and still requests to go to the field on rare occasions, but only to hang with the guys, no interest in flying at all. He loves fishing, shooting guns, but those are the only 2 things, that I can get him to let go of either his moms leg, or his little fingers off the wii, playstation, or TV remote.

Help a fella out with some ideas of what I can do, or if there is anything I can do. My latest evil plan, is a Mystery Machine from Radical RC. Thanks to those "HANDSOME" pics of @Decal Dennis :lol2: and his Scooby Van, my son saw here, all I've heard is I want it I want it, little does he know, and thankfully he doesn't know, that I would buy him 20 of them if he would fly. I would love to be Pit Dad, I'd completely hand him the sticks(give up flying all together myself), and set back and watch. I think this is my dream, and not his, and don't hesitate to say so, if you think the same. I'm just looking for tips, and yes I will result to trickery to get him out to the field.
"Little Man" is one cool dude! We've talked about this at the field. He will eventually come to the hobby. Boy's and airplanes are like peas and carrots. Let's maybe try a tag team approach and get one of the guys to get him on the buddy box with one of the electrics and see if another person can "distract" him into having fun. Probable multiple batteries charged and get him in the air immediately after landing and changing out a fresh battery.:mario-banana:

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
"Little Man" is one cool dude! We've talked about this at the field. He will eventually come to the hobby. Boy's and airplanes are like peas and carrots. Let's maybe try a tag team approach and get one of the guys to get him on the buddy box with one of the electrics and see if another person can "distract" him into having fun. Probable multiple batteries charged and get him in the air immediately after landing and changing out a fresh battery.:mario-banana:

Bart your idea may be the trick. THe last time (Back in the fall) I put trainer together, Paul and I took him up, he lasted maybe 2 minutes, and he was gone, back in the pits chatting with Herb. I think come spring we'll try him with you and Paul, see if that doesn't spark him up. Funny I posted this Sat. morn., not an hour later he wanted to go to the field. I beginning to think he's 7 Lakes material, just shows up at the field to find out where everyone is going to meet for lunch. Hey at least one of my son's loves to fly, hell Herb wants to go fly everyday.

Bart your idea may be the trick. THe last time (Back in the fall) I put trainer together, Paul and I took him up, he lasted maybe 2 minutes, and he was gone, back in the pits chatting with Herb. I think come spring we'll try him with you and Paul, see if that doesn't spark him up. Funny I posted this Sat. morn., not an hour later he wanted to go to the field. I beginning to think he's 7 Lakes material, just shows up at the field to find out where everyone is going to meet for lunch. Hey at least one of my son's loves to fly, hell Herb wants to go fly everyday.
Hey. Getting him to the field is 90% of the battle so if he is asking to go that is very positive!:fist_pump:

You may not be lucky enough that they fall in love with what you like. Maybe you will have to fall in love with one of their things. I never was much in to wheelin' until one of my kids took it up. The key is to be doing something with them. I've also found that you may have to wait years before you really know if any of the bait you set out has taken. My kids were only marginally interested in planes when I tried to do it with them when they were grade school age. A decade later they were the ones who got me back into the hobby.

Some may have noticed from other posts that I am more positive towards multi-rotors and FPV than many on these forums. I give you all just one guess where that comes from.

flycanic

70cc twin V2
Last Summer my Brother and his son decided to get involved in RC. I taught my brother to fly many years ago. He flew for a couple years and went back to gun collecting. I have been Instructing him and one of his sons to fly, They are into the Elect. The Flying has been cold and windy at time but we have fun. They both are currently flying the Park Zone Sport cubs When dry and no snow we fly with wheels when we have snow we put the floats on and go fly off the Snow. "SKIS? WHO NEEDS SKIS" floats work better

Attachments

• IMG_3599.JPG
    IMG_3599.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_3598.JPG
    IMG_3598.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 367

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
You may not be lucky enough that they fall in love with what you like. Maybe you will have to fall in love with one of their things. I never was much in to wheelin' until one of my kids took it up. The key is to be doing something with them. I've also found that you may have to wait years before you really know if any of the bait you set out has taken. My kids were only marginally interested in planes when I tried to do it with them when they were grade school age. A decade later they were the ones who got me back into the hobby.

Yes you are absolutely right. Could not really get my "little guys" interested and there is no worse experience than "babysitting" at the field. I had to draw the line however when it came to getting on a skateboard! What ever happened to just pitch and catch!?
And my little "darlings" (I had 2 boys 2 girls)? They actually liked pitch and catch!

My thing is to expose my son to it, and let him decide if he wants to do this or not. I dont want to push him into doing something he doesnt want to do. Im not going to be a pushy parent in wanting him to follow in my footsteps with a hobby.

doublea

100cc
To have two girls is definetly not the direction to be able to get your kids to take up a hobby that you have interest in. BUT, I have to say that even though sometimes I could pull my hair out with them. I still cherish the time I spend with them. I just recently received a picture saying that I am a hero in my child's eyes. That their is worth more than any carried on hobby. To be able to spend time with your children is most important. BUT, you also need time for yourself. You may find it hard to take time for yourself to do what you enjoy, or may even feel guilty( I know I have, which has shortened any trips I have taken to the field to get home to see my kids.) having your kids with you is a huge bonus if they choose to enjoy what you do. If they don't choose to do what you do it is still a huge bonus because they are your kids. I know that I am proud no matter what. Man I love flying, but as soon as I had my kids I loved them more.

Just my opinion
2015-02-14 22.46.05.jpg

This is them with my wife. I can't be any more proud.