• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Gas vs. Electric

ghoffman

70cc twin V2
There is a very good reason why there are no full scale electric planes. After 5 minutes or so, electrics are ready to land or fall out of the sky. But electric motors have max torque at zero RPM so for a while they are best, and are quiet. As battery technology continues to improve, so will the practicality of them. Now, 4S is as big as I am willing to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have gone both ways in 30cc. 2 seasons ago all I had were 30cc electrics, mainly 8s setups. I invested in the generator, power supplies, chargers, etc. As the gas engine options improved, I started to try gasser setups for the longer flights times. At this point all I have up and running are gasser setups with 2x VVRC 40 twins and 2x OS GT33s. I am going to get a electric setup later in the season as I am fascinated by the options in 12s as I have a ton of 6s 3300s for my 60" laser. Also I just invested in a cargo trailer that will have the charging setup in it, so my opinion might start to sway back to electrics, as my major issue with them is all the toting around of the massive charging setup.

I think the actual flight experience is superior with electric. Light weight, instant torque, and bigger props, all add up to a wonderful 3D experience. The gasser is more grab and go. Just need to charge the RX packs and fuel it up, flip, and fly.

Cost wise, IF you consider batteries fuel, then the electric is much cheaper. One less servo, the motor and ESC will add up around $250, versus $400 to $550 for the gas engine, standoffs, fuel tank, IBEC, tubing, filters. Also the gasser takes much longer to setup installing all this stuff.

Generally, my electric 30cc planes have come in around 10 pounds AUW, while my gassers seem to average 11.5. This is with at least 4 data points on each type of setup.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I have gone both ways in 30cc. 2 seasons ago all I had were 30cc electrics, mainly 8s setups. I invested in the generator, power supplies, chargers, etc. As the gas engine options improved, I started to try gasser setups for the longer flights times. At this point all I have up and running are gasser setups with 2x VVRC 40 twins and 2x OS GT33s. I am going to get a electric setup later in the season as I am fascinated by the options in 12s as I have a ton of 6s 3300s for my 60" laser. Also I just invested in a cargo trailer that will have the charging setup in it, so my opinion might start to sway back to electrics, as my major issue with them is all the toting around of the massive charging setup.

I think the actual flight experience is superior with electric. Light weight, instant torque, and bigger props, all add up to a wonderful 3D experience. The gasser is more grab and go. Just need to charge the RX packs and fuel it up, flip, and fly.

Cost wise, IF you consider batteries fuel, then the electric is much cheaper. One less servo, the motor and ESC will add up around $250, versus $400 to $550 for the gas engine, standoffs, fuel tank, IBEC, tubing, filters. Also the gasser takes much longer to setup installing all this stuff.

Generally, my electric 30cc planes have come in around 10 pounds AUW, while my gassers seem to average 11.5. This is with at least 4 data points on each type of setup.

My DLE 30 powered 3dhs 72" extra weights 10.25lbs with fuel :D

My RCGF 26cc Velox is just a little over 9 pounds. My new VVRC 40 74 Edge was 10 pounds on Patrick's home scale, but I am waiting to use my fish scale as that is what I have been using to get comparable weights.

One cool thing about electrics is that you can change the battery and go from very light to heavy depending on the capacity. I used to have to run a stupid big battery in my 60" Edge on windy days.

gyro

GSN Contributor
My RCGF 26cc Velox is just a little over 9 pounds. My new VVRC 40 74 Edge was 10 pounds on Patrick's home scale, but I am waiting to use my fish scale as that is what I have been using to get comparable weights.

One cool thing about electrics is that you can change the battery and go from very light to heavy depending on the capacity. I used to have to run a stupid big battery in my 60" Edge on windy days.

Well, the difference between a 60" and a 70" airplanes weight is essentially DOUBLE (5lbs to 10lbs) so I'm not surprised.

I do agree that you seem to get a little more precise control on electric. For example, you can see it between Brian's electric and gas flights on the same airplane:

[video=youtube_share;PN0tss1JDD0]http://youtu.be/PN0tss1JDD0[/video]

And on gas:

[video=youtube_share;EVvP6LKfwwU]http://youtu.be/EVvP6LKfwwU[/video]

The big sky stuff looks the same, but the low and slow harrier seems to be a little more controlled.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Just my humble opinion if it's a 30cc size plane I would go electric especially since it's something you're setup for and are familiar with. When you decide to go bigger - GAS BABY! I love the roar and smell of the gas motors... nothing beats it again just my opinion.

SnowDog

that's interesting...30cc is where I make the transition from electric to gas....there are so many good choices in 30cc powerplants today...and like you said, 3DMIKE...I love the sound of a gasser! Can't beat the long flight times either.

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
long flight times are nice, but i love me some smooth electric power. its really a toss up in the 50cc size. i think 30cc flies better electric, and 100cc in the past has flown better gas. but its not like any is less capable than the other.

With the new 70cc twins, I think gas is the way to go as you get lighter, more power, smoothness, and flight times.

30cc to me is a toss up. The electrics build lighter, more power, with the only downfall being the flight time. I am dinking with the 12s 3300 setup in a 30cc at the moment and lord knows I have done plenty of 30cc gassers and electrics.

SnowDog

ah yes, the age old debate! gas vs electric....that's good for half the night around a campfire at a fly-in, yes? :)