• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Futaba 8FG(S)

dougb

50cc
My flying buddy is using the R6208SB on straight 2S LiPo in a 35% Extra. I'm using the R6208SB & R6203SB on regulated 6v.

Doug B.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
My flying buddy is using the R6208SB on straight 2S LiPo in a 35% Extra. I'm using the R6208SB & R6203SB on regulated 6v.

Doug B.

Thanks Doug, if you see him please ask where he plugged it in? I am hoping I can use the sbus on the bottom of the receiver.

dougb

50cc

Attachments

• Sbus_hub4_02.jpg
    Sbus_hub4_02.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 292

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Well I took the plunge! I went from a JR 9503 to the Futaba 8FGS. Some major differences I noticed right away on power up were:

---Cons---
- The Futaba is lighter and feels more like a toy than the JR.
- The display is less cluttered on the 9503 (larger screen).
- The gimbals weren't quite as smooth on the Futaba.
- The body of the Futaba is all plastic.
- There didn't seem to be a way to make the throttle stick smooth.

---Pros---
- The Futaba is way more programmable, everything has options.
- The Futaba is lighter than the JR
- Navigating the menus is far better with the Futaba, quick links and ipod style scrolling.
- The volume during scrolling can be turned off.
- Flying feels way WAY more 'locked in.'

These are just a few of my personal observations (my pros and cons may not align with your ideals). I'm sure there will be many more 'pros' along the way. So far, I am very happy with the decision to make the switch. I missed model match until I figured out that I could have the transmitter start up in model select mode.

I also have found that the programming on the Futaba is actually very simple. I have read many people expressing that they have found difficulty programming the Futaba interface, but my experience is that, while at first (30 min.) it took some getting use to, it is just as easy to program as the JR and I've found it to be more user friendly than the JR due to the ipod style of navigation and amazing number of options. Once you have the menus down, programming a plane is a breeze!

I just ordered a Fromeco RELION and a Pelican 1500 case, I am also waiting on the adaptor for my Phoenix sim.

All in all this has been a really easy transition, and although there has been a lot of equipment trading to make this work, its been well worth it! What a great system. If you are thinking of making the switch, don't hesitate. I know I won't be looking back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anthony7820

70cc twin V2
- There didn't seem to be a way to make the throttle stick smooth.

Nice review. I also found that switching to Futaba the "bind" time to the airplane was faster along with the "locked in" feel probably due to lower latency.

Just for future reference and anyone else who likes the smooth throttle stick. The only difference between a heli radio and an airplane radio is the heli radio has a smooth throttle (without the ratchet) and when you make a new model it will start out as a helicopter instead of an airplane. So, if you like the smooth throttle feel, just get the helicopter version :)

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
---Cons---

- The display is less cluttered on the 9503 (larger screen).

On the 8FG just tap the RTN button after it powers up and you can toggle to a less cluttered display that also greatly increases the timer numbers size for easy viewing.

futk8010ai11-lg.jpg

dskuro95

100cc
These are the only high voltage receivers.

R6208SB

8/18 Channel S.Bus High Voltage Receiver
Stock Number: FUTL7668
Dimensions: 0.98 x 1.86 x 0.56 in (24.9 x 47.3 x 14.3 mm) Weight: 0.49 oz (13.8 g)

R6202SBW
3/18 Channel High Voltage S.Bus Micro Receiver
Stock Number: FUTL7667
Dimensions: 0.88 x 1.47 x 0.36 in (22.5 x 37.4 x 9.3 mm)
Weight: 0.25 oz (7.2 g)

R6203SBE
3/18 Channel High Voltage S.Bus Receiver
Stock Number: FUTL7666
Dimensions: 0.89 x 1.47 x 0.37 in (22.5 x 37.4 x 9.3 mm)
Weight: 0.22 oz (6.3g)

Yes, and yes :). I am almost 100% all Futaba receivers are HV.