• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Full Scale 3D flying

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
I didn't think any full scale aerobatic plane was capable of a hover, they simply don't have high enough thrust/weight ratio? They may be able to 'almost hover' momentarily as they reach the top of a vertical before sliding back down but as far as I know they cant quite maintain altitude in a sustained hover?... Correct me if I'm wrong.

There was one full size planes that was designed to be able to fly 3D called the Turbine Toucan: http://www.turbinetoucan.com/homepage/ but I think they ran out of money on the project and the plane has never moved beyond the initial test flights.

Steve

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
And yes, it was a sustained hover for 3-5 minutes.
Steve see video in post 8. Hehe. Pretty sure there is a hover or 2 in there.

Sorry guys but I've just watched the video, it's awesome, fantastic flying and I'm not taking anything away from the flying skills on display.... But I simply did not see a sustained hover at any point, let alone a hover for 3-5 minutes. In a couple of places the plane is momentarily stationary as it reaches the apogee of vertical climb before falling into a tail slide, but it never looked to me like it actually holding it's own against gravity in a sustained hover.... No fault of Rob's obviously, just not enough thrust available.

So tell me, at what point in the video do you think you could see a hover? (let alone a 3 minute hover).. or was I watching the wrong video:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Sorry guys but I've just watched the video, it's awesome, fantastic flying and I'm not taking anything away from the flying skills on display.... But I simply did not see a sustained hover at any point, let alone a hover for 3-5 minutes. In a couple of places the plane is momentarily stationary as it reaches the apogee of vertical climb before falling into a tail slide, but it never looked to me like it actually holding it's own against gravity in a sustained hover.... No fault of Rob's obviously, just not enough thrust available.

So tell me, at what point in the video do you think you saw a hover? (let alone a 3 minute hover).. or was I watching the wrong video:confused:

I'm referring to what I saw in person, my apologies for not making that clear in my posts. I did not get in on video because I was not expecting to see this type of flying from full scale.

G.P.

70cc twin V2
I knew there would be some doubters....

Yeap, definitely was a blender based on this diagram:

View attachment 2653

And yes, it was a sustained hover for 3-5 minutes.

I never said I doubted that you saw a blender, I said I didn't know that a full scale could do that.

That brings us back to why didn't you see an inverted flat spin if you saw a blender? There is an inverted flat spin at the end of every blender.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
I'm referring to what I saw in person, my apologies for not making that clear in my posts. I did not get in on video because I was not expecting to see this type of flying from full scale.

Ahh.. ok. To be honest a 3-5 minute hover seems like a unusual manoeuvre to do in a show, even if the plane was capable of it (3 minutes plus of hovering would be a bit boring for the average airshow spectator)... Anyway, maybe technology has moved on so that they have the power to hover full scale. Most of these displays get captured on home or professional video so I look forward to seeing the footage.

Last edited by a moderator:

njswede

150cc
Ahh.. ok. To be honest a 3-5 minute hover seems like a unusual manoeuvre to do in a show, even if the plane was capable of it (3 minutes plus of hovering would be a bit boring for the average airshow spectator)... Anyway, maybe technology has moved on so that they have the power to hover full scale. Most of these displays get captured on home or professional video so I look forward to seeing the footage.

And I would be worried about the engine. Running on full throttle for that long, coupled with the troubles most engines have with lubrication when they're in unusual orientations would make me a bit nervous. But if that's what he saw, I'm in no position to doubt it. It just sounds like a strange maneuver.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Here's video from Matt Chapman flying full scale in formation with QuiQue r/c at Sun 'N Fun this year. Closest they do is the rolling harrier/high alpha. First time in history a full scale and model have flown together.

[video=youtube;9U5VOUW9-yk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9U5VOUW9-yk[/video]

gyro

GSN Contributor
Here's video from Matt Chapman flying full scale in formation with QuiQue r/c at Sun 'N Fun this year. Closest they do is the rolling harrier/high alpha. First time in history a full scale and model have flown together.

[video=youtube;9U5VOUW9-yk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9U5VOUW9-yk[/video]

I really enjoyed watching the twin rolling harriers...