Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Fuel Tank Size

Discussion in 'Beginners' Lounge' started by Raven, Jan 16, 2016.

1. I am currently building a warbird that will be in the 30-35 lb range. I will be putting in an eme 70 twin or dle 85. My question is , how big of a tank would i require for a 7 minute flight with a small reserve? I am thinking a 500 ml fiji water bottle but unsure if it will be adequate enough.

2. Flyingjon

Flyingjon 70cc twin V2

I fly a Da 70 and I put a 750ml Fiji in it. I have my timer set on 10 minutes and usually land with around half a tank. That's in a 3D plane so I may not be using as much throttle as you may be. I would think 500 ml would do it though.

3. bigblueswope

bigblueswope 100cc

That'll be fine. 12 minutes of 3D on my DA 70 and plenty of reserve.

BJ Swope

4. ChickenBalls

ChickenBalls "Cool Guy"

Sounds bout right, 16oz get ya there, 20 oz would give you some wiggle room. I've got a 24oz on my 85, and usually come down with half tank.

stangflyer likes this.
  5. And what are the rough AUW of your planes? I am assuming you fly at half throttle or less? Cant get 750 ml fiji here in Canada, only 500 ml and 1 L. 1 L is too much i.m.o. Thats why i am thinking the 500 ml. But as stated it is going to be heavy as most of these builds come in just under 35 lbs....FYI nick ziroli p-47 92"

6. Flyingjon

Flyingjon 70cc twin V2

I'm at 21 lbs with a set of tuned pipes and usually fly 1/3-3/4 throttle. One thing to note, the 750 ml bottles are the same length as the 1 l, just smaller around.

7. Thanks for the info man, maybe i will try to source a 750 ml bottle. My thinking is that add another 14 ish lbs to your plane and probably 3/4 throttle flying a 500 ml MAY be pushing it. But i will wait for others to chime in as well. My first giant scale and kit build so i dont eanna dead stick this due to lack of fuel ya know, lol.

8. BalsaDust

BalsaDust Moderator

I fly ten minutes on a 18lb plane with a dle55 and 500ml tank and land with right at 1/2 tank. Most of the flying on that plane is around 2/3 throttle.

9. stangflyer

stangflyer I like 'em "BIG"!

Would have to agree with Donnie here. Having just a smidgen more of fuel is not a bad thing. I'd rather have a little extra in reserve just in case, than to run out at a "REEEEEALY" bad time. jmho

ChickenBalls likes this.
  10. Jetpainter

Jetpainter 640cc Uber Pimp

Man your getting way better mileage than me. I average between 12 and 14 ounce on a ten minute flight with my DA50's and GP61. Of course I do like the high speed high energy stuff.

stangflyer likes this.