• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Focus areas

I had an idea that came to mind the other day that I thought would fit into this thread pretty well. I think a major focus area should be overall presentation of your flights. There is a major difference between someone that can do a lot of different maneuvers and someone who can put a quality flight together.

I think its very important to learn to control the aircraft very well throughout the entire flight instead of just while trying a manuever. Of course, still keep learning new maneuvers but focus on stringing current ones together and also just cleaning up your whole flight.

Here is a list of a few things that stand out to me when I see a quality flight.

1) Takeoffs and landings parallel to the runway, instead of just shooting out across the field.
2) A smooth takeoff, not dragging the rudder on the ground because you are pulling up to hard.
3) Smooth level turns
4)Taking advantage of turn around manuevers to get you headed down the runway again.
5) Try to fly a pattern ( not a race track pattern). Focus on flying straight down the runway, perpendicular to it, or 45 degrees to it.
6) Focus on smooth landings and really focus on smooth approaches.

By focusing on these simple things, your flights will look much better. Since you have more control over your airplane due to practicing this, 3D manuevers will also be a lot easier to learn.

I have seen quite a few pilots who I thought were exceptional pilots and I haven't ever seen them do rollers. Their overall flights are very clean and controlled and it leaves you with the feeling that they are great pilots even though you might never see them do roller, KE spins, blenders, ect...

This is an ask Joe question thread but I would love to hear what people have to say about this idea.

Joe

Aaeolien

70cc twin V2
I agree with everything that you said joe. And those are some things I am starting to work on, be it with my bigger edge or my flat foamies and I can already tell the difference in my flying. Can tell the difference in my confidence while flying knowing that I can make the plane do exactly what I want.

teookie

70cc twin V2
Joe, I think you are right about this. I also think you are particularly good at stringing together a great flight.

I wonder if you ever have the same problem I sometimes have; namely flying along thinking, "what trick should I do next?" and drawing a blank. :confused: I think that if I put the time in to write a nice routine down on paper, and then practiced it, I could put together a pretty decent flight. But, I've never really put the work in to try it out. Probably should sometime.

Joe, I think you are right about this. I also think you are particularly good at stringing together a great flight.

I wonder if you ever have the same problem I sometimes have; namely flying along thinking, "what trick should I do next?" and drawing a blank. :confused: I think that if I put the time in to write a nice routine down on paper, and then practiced it, I could put together a pretty decent flight. But, I've never really put the work in to try it out. Probably should sometime.

While writing that post I was thinking about your flying at Tenn. :) You have a very smooth flying style and it's very impressive. :thumbup:

I do have trouble figuring out what to do next too. During demos I am usually asking dad for suggestions on what I should do next. I have recently started writing down maneuvers and sequences of maneuvers on a note card to give me a quick reminder before I go fly. This has helped a lot and I plan on doing this more in the future.

teookie

70cc twin V2
A shucks. Thanks Joe. I still have a long way to go though! But that's part of what makes this hobby great; always more to learn and improve on.

Getting ideas from your Dad while flying is a good idea. Two heads are better then one! ;)

RCAddict16

70cc twin V2
Joe, do you think a scale bird can be an aerobatic trainer? I have been flying my parkzone spitfire and I noticed that it does nice slow rolls, stall turns, and nice edge does not have too much coupling. I have increased the throws by setting the pushrods in the lowest holes on the horns. It now has about 40 degrees of rudder and elevator and about 30 on each aileron. I don't have a solid 3d plane to fly right now but I do have my spitfire. :) I guess I'm asking you- do you think it is aerobatic enough to help me practice my precision? flying?

RCAddict16

70cc twin V2

I do that sometimes. I have a few routines I practice with just my TX and I will try them on RF when I get it.