• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Fibertech Hyperlite Slick 540 Build Thread

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
For cutting the hinge material I use a band saw and rip fence. I don’t have a good table saw or I would use it but the band saw works ok for me for now. Maybe not as smooth a surface as the table saw would do.

View attachment 16011 View attachment 16012

On the longer hinge line of the ailerons I like to use a good straight edge with a pin at each end and one in the middle. This lets me check and adjust for any bow.

View attachment 16013

Thanks Rick, I'm going to try my table saw first and see if I can use it before using my bandsaw. How are you coming on the smaller slick?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
If I didn't have a good table saw, I would absolutely use a bandsaw. Either way I leave enough to finish with a sanding bar.

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
It's looking good Bipenut. It's amazing how fast it goes from this point on. The sanding table is going to help you so much during the finish sanding. I wanted to sand a little more on mine but I just couldn't take it any more and started on the covering.

If everything goes to schedule I should do a maiden next weekend.

I hope you get to maiden it next week, I'm looking forward to the flight report and I want to see the the plane all finished.

Once you build that sanding table you will want to build more planes. LOL, it does make the sanding a whole lot better, I can't hardly take breathing that dust anymore. I run it too when I got the dremel running when I'm cutting out the foam, it makes a huge difference.

Thanks for the idea, I didn't think about using my razor saw. I do have an older Delta table saw that I'm going to try and use when I buy a feather board.

It is not a saw, but a planer. It peels (cuts) off a thin layer as you push it along. For someone like me who doesn't use a table saw all the time, it is probably quicker using one of these than setting up a table saw. It is nice for doing some rough shaping too.

http://masterairscrew.com/razorplane.aspx

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
It's looking good Bipenut. It's amazing how fast it goes from this point on. The sanding table is going to help you so much during the finish sanding. I wanted to sand a little more on mine but I just couldn't take it any more and started on the covering.

If everything goes to schedule I should do a maiden next weekend.
Spats
are you going to Nall and if so are you taking your Slick?

Spats

100cc
Spats
are you going to Nall and if so are you taking your Slick?

I am going and yes if all goes well I will be bringing the Slick. I am hoping to post completion pictures by the end of the week as long as work does not get in the way. Did you take an order for the Slick special you can bring to Nall?

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
I am going and yes if all goes well I will be bringing the Slick. I am hoping to post completion pictures by the end of the week as long as work does not get in the way. Did you take an order for the Slick special you can bring to Nall?
I didn't see it come through yet