• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Fibertech Hyperlite Slick 540 Build Thread

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
Nice work. I cheat with my bandsaw......I can only cut part of the cuts before I get restricted with throat depth. So I remove the blade, turn it inside out and install it backwards. The first time I did this the guides on there made a lot of noise so I put a crappy blade on to wear them in. Since I've done a half dozen airplanes now it sounds the same either way. I would not recommend this and would absolutely NOT do it if cutting solid wood or heavy cutting but for balsa sheeted foam it does in fact work.

Thanks, I think I will just keep using my razor saw. I have been thinking about buying a 14" Grizzly bandsaw, maybe this summer. How do you bevel your hinge stock? I'm really struggling with a good way of doing it.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
How about some video of you cutting some tri stock on the saw next time you cut some.

I could, but it's just a standard left tilt table saw. I'd have to look back but I took some pics once. I cut the stock about 1/8" larger than needed and bevel to leave about 1/32" on the edges and about 1/16" at the center left.

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
Okay I'm going to get a feather board for my table saw and cut these bevels on it. I hand sanded the bevel on one elevator and I"m so happy I built the sanding table because this was a lot of sanding. It turned out pretty good sanding a bevel this size. What I did is run a line down the center and draw a line on each end for the angle. I took 80 grit sand paper to remove most of the wood and then hit it with some 120, I will smooth it out more when I do final sanding.

I have started on the wings now and I set the fuse on its side to check the fit of the root rib to the fuse side. This one looks really good and does not need any sanding. If it did need sanding I would sand the foam to get a good fit to the fuse before I glue the root rib on.

I have the carbon fiber strips in place and glued to the foam, the sheeting has been taped and is ready for the vacuum bag, I have the strings in the wings for the servo wires and the root rib glued in place. I might try and get the wing in the vacuum bag tomorrow night if I have time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 249
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 363
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 405
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 391
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 425
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 389
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 402
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 442
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 385
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 409
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 382
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 405

Spats

100cc
I used my table saw also. Just set the angle and go slow. I put a fan behind me because the dust from the soft balsa goes everywhere especially in my face. I open the garage door and blow it outside a I cut.

20150210_153026.jpg

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
For cutting the hinge material I use a band saw and rip fence. I don’t have a good table saw or I would use it but the band saw works ok for me for now. Maybe not as smooth a surface as the table saw would do.

Rudder 7.png Rudder 8.png

On the longer hinge line of the ailerons I like to use a good straight edge with a pin at each end and one in the middle. This lets me check and adjust for any bow.

Wing control surface 6.png

Spats

100cc
It's looking good Bipenut. It's amazing how fast it goes from this point on. The sanding table is going to help you so much during the finish sanding. I wanted to sand a little more on mine but I just couldn't take it any more and started on the covering.

If everything goes to schedule I should do a maiden next weekend.