• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Failsafe

hbollier

70cc twin V2
I had a strange occurrence at the field yesterday. Futaba 12fg Tx, FrSky TFR6 Rx, running HV servos and 8v from ESC. This Rx has about 200 flights on it with no problems. After about 8 flights I was prepping for another in the pits. Battery was plugged in and throttle cut was engaged. It was about 95deg F and plane was in direct sunlight in pits. Another pilot started talking to me delaying take off by maybe 2 min. The Rx went in to failsafe mode. I know it went in to failsafe mode because the motor went to idle speed and there was no response from the surfaces. I unplugged the battery and re connected it and all control returned.

I unplugged the receiver and checked the Rx temp and it was fairly hot to touch. I put the plane in the shade for 30 min to cool off re checked the radio again and made 4 more flights.

Questions:

1) Can the heat cause the Rx to go in to failsafe mode?

2) Should I change failsafe to 0 throttle?

3) Is the Rx safe to fly?

4) Should I investigate this further and how?

Lessons Learned:

1) Keep your hands away from the prop when the battery is plugged in! I don't care if you have a throttle cut, STUFF HAPPENS!

2) Don't plug in till you are ready to fly.

3) Distractions in the pits can be just as dangerous as distractions on the flight line.

siko_flyer

70cc twin V2
All electronics are affected by heat. I would guess the plane sitting in the sun caused the issue,especially if the rx is visible through the canopy.I always either keep mine in the shade,but if that isn't possible I put a towel,wing bag, etc.. over the canopy. I would think that the 4 flights after the issue would suggest that it is ok to fly.

Crashmaster

New to GSN!
Good move! Failsafe reset to 0 throttle is a best practice in my opinion. For some reason, pilots seem to think more about how a failsafe feature can help them in the air. Unless it is important to you that your plane goes in with level control surfaces and throttle at idle...forget it! Manage your failsafe based on what will help you be safe on the ground first. If something goes wrong, motor should cut...period!

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Yup I always set my failsafe to 0% throttle. And I never rely on failsafe. Should something happen in the air, the airplane is farkled anyways. Failsafes really only come into use on the ground in the event someone neglects to turn their airplane off first.