• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight Owners Thread

SnowDog

Extreme Flight gets containers through Savannah, GA and just stocked the new warehouse with a new container. Got my in-stock email for the 88" Edge yesterday.

wow - that is interesting...I was just on the EF site yesterday looking at that very airframe...the web page said out of stock, but when I clicked on the link, it appeared to let me add one to my cart...I was confused....maybe I'll have to call Chris today and see what the real deal is there!

I've got an 89" Slick, an 89" Extra, and I've been trying to decide between an 88" Yak-55 from RedWing or the 88" Edge from EF for this years airframe...

Of all of my EF airframes, only the 88 edge disappointed me. I just never connected with it and ailerons were a bit small to hold a hover. The guy I sold it to loves it and says he feels instantly at home with it, so it must just be my preferences/style. Just got a 91 extra to replace it.

Same thing with my Aerobeez extra. Ailerons too small. They already have a V2, so they probably fixed it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Feral

Well done yellow jackets thanks for posting I think its inevitable that DA Aus will be getting a order through

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Any experience/ tips on fuel/ smoke tanks? For a 91" Extra w/ DA70 I'm looking at a Figi 1 L for fuel with a PSP 3 line. Smoke I'm thinking the Smart Water setup from Aztech. Thinking is being able to squeeze a larger cylinder (smart water) tank for smoke giving me 20oz vs 16 oz. thoughts?

ryan_m

100cc
I have an EME70 twin, similar to the DA. I put a 20oz tank on mine, and fly for 9:30 on it. I often land with only 3oz or so in the tank. 20oz is the smallest I would consider for the DA, and possibly a 24 or even 32 if you want to fly more than 10 minutes...

sr175

30cc
How has the EME been going? What prop you running? If this is in another thread point me there.

Would like to hear more about eme on these planes as well. The guy I bought my edge from had a lot of good to say and were comparable to power with my dle. I haven't met anyone else who had heard of them honestly. I have seen them sold online and that's about it.

ryan_m

100cc
I posted a bit about the EME70 in the 3dhs 91" Yak 55 thread on giantscalenews.com, but I'll put it here too.
So far I'm quite pleased with the motor. I got nine flights on it last weekend, which makes 14 overall. It was a tad lean from the factory, which amounted to it being quite hard to start. Richened the low end about 1/3 turn, and she fired up. I tried leaning the low end back down a bit after the first 3-4 flights, and it just didn't want to start like that, so I kept returning to the richer setting. It was slowish in transition from low to high, which made me think it was still rich. But on the fifth flight it died in the air. Motor was quite hot, could feel heat radiating from the cowl in fact. Cowl wasn't baffled, and it's a Yak, so that wasn't ideal. I pulled the cowl and baffled it, and then I also pulled the plugs and looked at those. It was definitely still running lean, not white, but definitely not a nice brown color either. Richened both low and high needles a tiny bit. Still slowish in transition, but each flight is getting better, and now after the nine last weekend it feels more like a dle-55 and transitions pretty well and quickly. It's just needing more breakin time I think. After the gallon or so of fuel it has now it's starting much better. Initially it was taking at least 3-4 cycles of choke, flip to pop, un-choke, and flip until fire to get it to run. Now it's acting more like it should, and starting easier. I think the extra friction of the twins just makes it slower to start. But it's definitely getting better and better.
As for rpm data, I'm now turning a Falcon 24x9 at about 6700 rpm on the ground, on the first runs it was 6550 or so. Hasn't increased past the 6700 mark yet though. Been running redline at 35:1 (35:1 is manufacturer recommended), but I may go to 40:1 as it's still spitting a lot of black stuff on the plane. But it's not broken in completely either.

skibum44

70cc twin V2
The black stuff is getting better on the DA70 every time out. Last time it was almost acceptable. About 3.5gals through it now. I read that a lot were having issues with the black junk sticking around longer on the DA70 vs other DA engines. Been running Redline 40:1.