• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight Owners Thread

mzl969

New to GSN!
I just had a friend use my commercial shipping address for his 74 Laser, $120.00 shipping cost, I can get a 71 Slick shipped to my private address for $37.61. My friend did not know what the shipping costs were until after they invoiced him.

Is it just me or are there others who are getting fed up with EF shipping policy of place your order and then we will shock you with the shipping costs? All of the other premier companies out there give you a shipping calculator to figure shipping costs before you purchase the plane, what a unique idea.

Yes, but the 74" laser is a 13 pound plane and is 74" long and the fuse is not much smaller than my 87" redwing slick. The 71" slick is 10 pounds electric. The EF planes are approaching the box size of the 50cc offerings and shipping prices reflect that.

I just reshipped my 60" yak to AZ and even going fedex ground it was pretty spendy. Dimensional weight is a tough cookie.

For reference the EF 70" extra EXP is a much smaller box and shipping cost are similar to the 3DHS offerings.

Ken Cz

30cc
Wrong.

Last October I ordered a 91" EF 300 (3 boxes, fuse, wings and cowl) and a 78" EF 300 on one order, had Extreme Flight ship them both to the same address as the Laser mentioned 2 posts above, and they charged me $120 for both. Why in world would they charge me $120 for a 74" EF Laser that is no bigger than the 78" EF 300 I ordered - and don't forget, the 3 separate boxes for 91" Extra!!!
Doubt I would have ordered it if they would have given me the shipping cost up front like 99.9% of all other websites do when you enter your zip.
Come on get real! More than 25% of the cost of the airframe just to ship it!

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
I don't really understand the post, but I've bought a 3DHS with a 69 inch fuse and 10.8 pounds and an EF plane with a 76 inch fuse and 13 pounds. The 76 inch fuse EF plane cost $450 with $127 shipping, so $557. The 3DHS plane with the 69 inch fuse cost $440 and $45.21 to ship so $485. Would I expect to spend $72 more for this size difference? Yes. The 70 EXP with a 70 inch fuse to about the same 10.5 pounds cost $390 and $64.83 for shipping... $454.

I don't see any reason to flame EF for their higher shipping costs for the same reason I don't see any reason to flame 3DHS for their higher product cost. Especially since all you have to do is take a few minutes to check out the shipping from Cumming GA on the UPS site. Simple, really.

If you are just buying for price, I get these emails from General Hobbies all the time for 74 inch planes at $259 and I think the shipping is $50, but I'll never buy one. A 24% Pilot can come to my door for $443.50, but I don't want one.

When you ordered the 91 it came freight. I assume the laser came UPS. They will ship the laser freight for the same $120 if you ask them. I think they assume you don't want to deal with the hassle of commercial freight unless you ask. I always try to get a group order going so we can save on the shipping with a single freight order which is $125 up here.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Sure, but people are talking as if the product cost is the same and EF charges three time the amount to ship. The EF Extra EXP with the 70" wing span and 70" fuse was $454 to my door, the 3DHS Edge 540 with the 74" wingspan and the 69" fuse was $485 to my door, and the EF Extra 300 with the 78" wingspan and the 76" inch fuse was $557 to my door. These prices, delivered, all makes perfect sense to me, so I don't get it. This whole topic about EF shipping is ridiculous because there is no difference in relative cost once the product cost, shipping cost, and value of the product, are considered.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Sure, but people are talking as if the product cost is the same and EF charges three time the amount to ship. The EF Extra EXP with the 70" wing span and 70" fuse was $454 to my door, the 3DHS Edge 540 with the 74" wingspan and the 69" fuse was $485 to my door, and the EF Extra 300 with the 78" wingspan and the 76" inch fuse was $557 to my door. These prices, delivered, all makes perfect sense to me, so I don't get it. This whole topic about EF shipping is ridiculous because there is no difference in relative cost once the product cost, shipping cost, and value of the product, are considered.

I think if you take a step back, and consider all these 7x" planes are in the same generic "size class" of 30-40cc planes, the opinions of the others would make more sense... As all the planes in this "class" should cost roughly the same to ship.

hone

150cc
I think if you take a step back, and consider all these 7x" planes are in the same generic "size class" of 30-40cc planes, the opinions of the others would make more sense... As all the planes in this "class" should cost roughly the same to ship.
That's the whole point....the 78" Extra, 76/83" MXS, and 74" Laser are not in that generic size class. That's why people put 50cc engines on them. I doubt anyone even considers doing that with other 30-40cc planes. That's because of their size difference. Did you see the pic of Matt's Laser next to the 50cc Slick? Almost the same size fuse. These are more 35-50cc planes.

Like aeroplayin said the 70" EXP is more in line with other manufacturers as far as both size and cost go. That plane is in the 30 - 40cc class

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
That's the whole point....the 78" Extra, 76" MXS, and 74" Laser are not in that generic size class. That's why people put 50cc engines on them. I doubt anyone even considers doing that with other 30-40cc planes. That's because of their size difference. Did you see the pic of Matt's Laser next to the 50cc Slick? Almost the same size fuse. These are more 35-50cc planes.

Like aeroplayin said the 70" EXP is more in line with other manufacturers as far as both size and cost go. That plane is in the 30 - 40cc class

Joe, I'm very familiar with those two planes, and yes, they're not that far off in size. Keep in mind The RW 87" Slick is on the smaller side of 50cc sized planes.

Also, I think the EF 74" Laser, Edge, and 76" MXS are marketed in the same 35cc size class as the other 35cc birds, which maybe leads to the confusion. You have a 35cc in yours right?

To me this is one of those situations where the fans of a certain brand are willing to over look the expense because they love the planes (and rightfully so).