• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight Owners Thread

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
My 60" EF Extra did a cartwheel yesterday. It was only 5 feet off the ground and moving 10 mph, so it wasn't streaking fast...but I'm still amazed at how little damage the airframe sustained. No visible damage whatsoever from the outside view. Upon removing canopy and cowl I found 3 minor cracks in the fuse. I was surprised at the lack of damage. What an awesome airframe. I believe the receiver may have lost the signal. The plane acted like it had a loose control horn, it just got squirrelly. I'm going to add a ferrous ring on the esc and do a range check. I've got 40 flights on this plane without rx issues. i'm not sure what happened or why. I'm running an AR6210 rx with the included satellite antenna and have a DX8 tx...
[MENTION=2581]hopper[/MENTION] that's exactly what happened to my Laser! I slapped the motor mount and cowl a little but wings and tail were in tact. Awesome durability! I'd put money on a stripped servo gear. Doing all those flts without issue steers me away from the radio/ Rx issues. With the ability these have to tumble at high energy it's a wonder we don't go through servos by the case! It's an unbelievable amount of force during some of the XA maneuvers. I'd say close to 20G instantaneous scale in some cases. Good luck.

Buick Mackane

70cc twin V2
thanks [MENTION=2280]Dr. Gonzo[/MENTION] and [MENTION=769]dth7[/MENTION]. I appreciate the input. the satellite is perpendicular to the rx antennae and also tilted at 45 degrees within the perpendicular plane and tx antenna is tilted at 45 degrees. I didn't check for a blinking light...I rushed to unplug the batt. (I had a smoking batt after a dumb thumb incident once before with a different airframe). I'll check the servos. I have 5245MG's in it so stripped gears didn't enter my mind. Stripped gears makes the most sense...and yes, she is a beauty. Thanks again guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to remember Chris saying it was a bad batch, and newer batches have solved the issue. Contact them about it. They have been very on top of this issue to date.

skibum44

70cc twin V2
Hopper, another to consider is power supply to the receiver side of the of the radio system. With not enough power it's possible a sag in voltage from a binding servo, burning servo, or a inadequate BEC went below 3.1V and caused a brownout. I had a 65mg burn up and cause a 5A internal Castle Ice BEC to brown me out. 60" and up I now run a external 10A BEC to supply a bit more power to the system.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Hopper, another to consider is power supply to the receiver side of the of the radio system. With not enough power it's possible a sag in voltage from a binding servo, burning servo, or a inadequate BEC went below 3.1V and caused a brownout. I had a 65mg burn up and cause a 5A internal Castle Ice BEC to brown me out. 60" and up I now run a external 10A BEC to supply a bit more power to the system.

I started doing the same.