• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 104 Extra

I run savox 2270s in my elevators and have not noticed any flutter. I know Cody runs BLS-157s in his. I will have to look to see which hole the elevators are in, but I know they are 2" arms. [MENTION=443]ghoffman[/MENTION] put mine together for me last season when I was slightly disabled and maybe he remembers.

I flew mine yesterday a few flights and tried some props again. I have a DA-120 on MTW canisters that are borrowed so a little different setup.

Falcon 29x9 was 6550-6600 RPM. Good power, but it was ripping the prop. Kind of defeated the purpose of the cans.

Falcon 27x11 was 7000 RPM and yet again seems like a sweet spot for the 120. I guess there is a reason all the competition pilots run this prop. Great throttle response and good power. The smaller prop disk allows easier and cleaner tumbles and pitch maneuvers. Not insane power like the 29" prop delivered, but that is a relative term. I will punch this into the spreadsheet to see thrust and HP when I get time.

Here is the data from the spreadsheet. Very interesting. I corrected this for density altitude. Almost the same static thrust, but the 27x11 has a much higher pitch speed. The 29 must unload more as it was
ripping and the 27 was not.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404741227.331448.jpg

ghoffman

70cc twin V2
They are 2 inch arms. I'll probably go with 1270's but I have to say the 2270's on my 91 have been perfect. I will definitely run 3S lipo's with the Castle BEC Pros regulated to 8.5V on my 104. The BLS-157's and Savox 2270's have been flawless at 8.5V and it is so consistent. It was not my idea, I heard it from Andrew Jesky, but it works perfectly and 2, 3S 1500's last all day.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
As I'm transitioning my airplane over to Hitec control, I replaced the spektrum powersafe receiver with this:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404784097.696278.jpg

Got my new Optima 9 receiver paired up to my Aurora 9x, and powered through a RCCSKJ power board, perfect for my 104. Available from [MENTION=2470]RedwingRC[/MENTION], it comes with 8 channels plus a ignition kill, so 9 total inputs. I love how simple it is to setup, and it even had the wiring diagram on the back!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404784249.374592.jpg

Best of all, it has a bright, easy to read voltage display for double checking flight packs before take off!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404784333.583749.jpg

It shows input, output, rx, and ignition voltages.

Bigroger

70cc twin V2
Nice setup Gyro.

I use the powerbox Comp SRS on mine with two SBUS 3 channel Futaba Rx.

Only 5 flights so far, but rock solid.

The powerbox has a neat little function where you can check for lost info packets at the end of each flight, and so far its faultless.

My 104 is still a bit nose heavy and has a little wing rock in harrier without the SFG's.

Once I set the CG where I like it all should be sweet.

I have a little KE mixing so far and looks like I need a little aileron differential when I roll to the right on high rates but over all one sweet plane.

Sorted out my GP123, had some trouble starting yesterday, but I figured out that once its popped on chock, I give the prop half a dozen rocks back and forth with the choke off and it then starts in one flip after that..

amstd7

70cc twin V2
I have been debating on that same power system for my 104 Gyro, looks simple enough, thanks for sending pics.