• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Drilling out hinge points

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Maybe One thing I should have mentioned, if you watch what you are doing and not move the hinge point to far from the bad ones you will not miss the blocks in an arf like an AeroWorks or any other arf the blocks are larger than you think. Done them a few times, mostly on the rudder.When doing an awesome wall I judge the ground clearance very close, and try to just miss the rudder hitting the ground by inches some times I miss judge LOL In fact on a couple older AeroWorks arfs when doing the repair have found after removing the surface needing the repair where the missed the added blocks completely.
These are Aeroworks Yak 54 wings that I added a custom tip to for a project I'm working on. They still have the stock hinges glued in in this picture. The blocks are too narrow to just move the hinge over.
downloadfile-1.jpeg

N8DAV8R

New to GSN!
I am doing this on a 50cc Aeroworks Edge, I smashed up the rudder and broke the hinges in the back of my truck on the way to maiden!

Compounding things, 3 of the hinges were poorly drilled from the factory...off center to one side. This meant a bigger gap in order to have full deflection. When I glued up the first time I decided I could live with it but if I was doing repair work I might as well get things better centered. I marked and drilled new holes about 3/4" away for the 3 center hinges. I drilled by hand with a pin vice and could immediately tell the difference from the blocked locations. I decided to fill the old holes with GG and drill new holes very close to the same locations but on-center this time.

TL:DR - Soldering iron trick worked well for getting the old hinges out. Aeroworks does seems to use narrow blocks at hinge points.