• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Double Build, Carden Pro 124" Extra 300 40%

I know it Rusty! I just went out to the shop and inspect it, and it came out real good. i did not take my cell, so i was not able to take a picture, I will tomorrow, when I do the ones for the other fuselage. Now time to read on how to build the fuselage sides. At this time, I am confused.

From the manual: (the next step for me)

2. Drill Four #8 Holes in the Landing Gear Pilot holes in the L.G. Mount. Use a drill press. Mark and

drill through the L.G. Mount and ½” by ½” Hardwood with a #8 tap drill. Tap for 8-32 x 4 Socket Head Cap Screws. Nuts are not required.

this is what I did (so far):

used a ruler and a angle to determine where the landing gear needs to go, and then did measurements til i fugured out what was square.
View attachment 52843

i then marked where I thought, the holes would be or should be:
View attachment 52844

here it is, after drilling and tapping, and I am satisfied with this, however......
View attachment 52846

View attachment 52845

You can probably read my mind. I am itching to put an aluminum angle in there, with a aircraft quality plywood and blind nuts to finish it off. Just do not trust leaving that alone, but I am crazy like that....:msn_slap:
View attachment 52847
By just having the cap screws in the bare wood, threaded, it will leave the gear plate in the fuse,if a gear out situation occurs, but will unfortunately poke holes in the bottom of the wings from the wheel pants. I am all too familiar with that. Be sure to harden the threades with thin super glue.

Both of my 35% Extras were built that way, and trust me, is more than adaquete.

They came out well.
I marked HD for high density
and LD for Low, but really, they are just regular density.
The HD on both sides will be for the upper Longerons
and the hybrid sticks go on the bottom, with the normal density towards the back.

IMG_0811.JPG

the scrap will be used for cross bracing as well.

Next step, is to obtain some form of wax paper or polyester film to cover the plans, and begin to build the truss fuselage sides.

I had skipped a step:

3. Cut the 1 & 1/2" Dia. Socket to 12 & 1/8” for instalation in the Fuselage. Trial fit the Socket. Check and adjust if necessary for a square fit. Socket installation takes place in step #21.

IMG_0812.JPG
IMG_0813.JPG
IMG_0814.JPG

not illustrated, but I used a right angle, and made measurements, to assure that the tube was square to the table top.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
what exactly are you building? do you mind if I change the thread title to include that and I'll put a link to the website in the first post?

I'm guessing a Carden 40% Extra?

Oops, sorry
You are right, it is not mentioned anywhere. This is a Carden Pro kit, the only one now available thru Carden. At the time, they are only producing kits for one airplane only. It is the Carden Pro 124" Extra 300

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
ok, thanks! i thought i went more stupid overnight!

can i adjust the thread title for you?

ROLLERMAN

70cc twin V2
OK THATS IT, I"M GETTING ANOTHER KIT. LOL, I have two Carden kits under my belt now so, if Ty will not help you I will, HAHAHAHA.
Looks great so far, nice kits right?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
You know what, it will be interesting once you get into the build how they two companies compare, And then when you fly them.