• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Don Smith P-51 Mustang

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
@Snoopy1 The Mustang started out with a V12 Allison, but it wasn't up to the task. Then England allowed the US to build Rolls Royce Merlin engines for the Mustangs at some point after the US entered the war. I may be wrong, but I believe the Spitfire always had a Rolls Royce Merlin since they were made in England.
Correct-a-mundo. In fact, the Rolls Royce Merlin was built in the automobile manufacturing capital of America. Detroit Michigan.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Buddy,

This thread is 19 pages long now. Don't you think it's time to start putting glue to wood? If you're not careful, the guys are going to start comparing you to me, God forbid. . . . . . . :laughing:.
Compare me to you? Heck, that would be a compliment. I am usually stuck being compared with myself. And even I can't compete with me.
crazy-sign-smiley-emoticon.gif

Huh? There is suppose to be something being built? News to me!

I just figure all good things come to those who wait. It took me 17 years to fly my first Mustang. Now 7 and a half years after that, I am finally getting up the nerve to attempt the ultimate of Mustangs. Not sure "build" would be an appropriate word. Lets insert..."Create". Hee hee

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey buddy, don't worry. Some could say the same about me and my Valach's as I buy one long before the airframe.
And speaking of "create", ahh never mind. I know the boat you are in and sometimes it is hard being the only one whom can see the oar. lol
I truly appreciate that. With that said, I received an email from Gots today. He told me that my 150il "LONG" version had been secured and was ready for shipping information. Wee haw! Only one set back. I am not completely sure this is the one I want. I think I mentioned that I located a brand new never mounted or fueled 150 IL "SHORT" with starter in Vegas. It even comes with the pre-cut engine baffles. And for a fraction of the normal retail price. This is actually the one I want.

IMG_20181024_174943.jpg
IMG_20181024_175002.jpg
IMG_20181024_175022.jpg
IMG_20181024_175103.jpg
IMG_20181024_175611.jpg
IMG_20181024_175631.jpg

But wait, what about the 230cc IL? Oh my....what do I do? I want to be able to spin a four blade scale prop at scale size. The correct scale size for the DS would be about a 33 1/2". The only Kolm that will turn that size in scale configuration is the 230 and above. But unfortunately the 230 will not fit inside the cowl of the Mustang. The front cylinder will protrude by about an inch. That is unless I want to get the 230 IL SE. (Special Edition) Which was flown in the Galloping Ghost Planes. But it weighs in at 18.5 pounds. (BEAST) So I did some consulting of my plans. This is going to turn into a complete refabrication of the engine box.

20181030_210401.jpg
20181030_210439.jpg
20181030_210428.jpg
20181030_210341.jpg

According to the plans, the engine suggested would mount right against the firewall and would only be about 5 3/4" from hub face to rear of engine. This just will not work. In fact, I will have to redesign all the way back to fuse former #4. That gives me about 15" of length for that long Kolm. The Kolm 150cc (tres) cylinder is 368.7mm long. Or in our standard of measurement, 14 1/2". That would give me some wiggle room and allow for stand offs if I need them. Which I will probably use. So this is why the delay in getting this party started. I absolutely need to know which "KOLM" engine I will be using before I can even attempt getting under way. Also, I did locate a gentleman that designed his own prop reduction unit for his 155 twin Kolm. Talk about beautiful. I have been emailing him and trying to talk him into building me one. Then I could use the 150 and spin a four blade 33" prop no problem. Valach has a real nice 120cc twin. But after listening to the videos, it runs superb, but just not the sound I was looking for. So I guess I will just wait until I know for certain which way I want to go. At least I will be able to get what I had been hoping for.

Last edited:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
While you are dead set on scale, and I get it, have you taken into account the ground clearance? And being as I have done scale a time or two I can tell you our planes are not scaled the same visually, sometimes scale does not look right and occasionally does not even work. As for reworking the nose for either engine, that is just pard of the scale thing. And it more than likely will not be the only area you have to modify.
But above and beyond anything, you do have to do what suits you!